AuthorTopic: [WIP] Yian Kut Ku  (Read 7247 times)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: [WIP] Yian Kut Ku

Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 11:37:29 pm
I don't knew at first tha tit was a monster from Monster hunter, but as I recoginized that I searched myself some references.

The main problem is here that as well forms as color aren't really fitting together with the creature concept. I don't know your reference (link isn't working) but the proportions were also off.

I'd suggest that you should start with correcting some colors and create a palette which is interconnected in the whole image to get a homogen color look. then you should look carefully how the whole thing is looking, I don't played the game so I had only the rough imagination of some pictures.

As long as your proportions and your basic forms and colors aren't right you shouldn't start with detailing the stuff. Work at first sloppy and refine always the picture as a whole, this brings usually a better result than detailing part for part. Of course if you are fine enough you'll have to give each part the final touch.

I also played a bit more with the light. Its obviously coming from the left side now. I also added here and there some reflections from the ground and I also did a bit more with the wings.

I don't detailed anything yet, the head was done with a bit more attention, but it's just an tip in which diraction you could go.

It's also rather big for a pixel art piece. Maybe it'd be a good idea to study some good pixel art revs.

Here is a suggestion for some important changes while staying pretty near to your version.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:09 am
So much work for a piece I probably won't be using in the game xD since it's too big proportions wise. I will though, out of principle, finish this and correctly reshade as previously posted. The palette above looks perfect, even if you haven't played the game you got it right on the first try lol.

I haven't tackled a "big monster" pixel in a while, I forgot the steps as to what to detail first / last, this reminded me how to do things the right way though, thanks.

- Going to finish the Kut Ku -

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 01:54:08 pm
Well if it's too large then make it smaller while you don't yet have much detail to destroy from resizing.

Also,

What is with the head of that thing?
It looks different in every bloody reference you look up.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Zettman

• Prinny, dood.
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 11:09:51 am
Yeah it's because they change him up in every Monster Hunter (there's like 6+ MH versions) lol