AuthorTopic: RTS Map Icons  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Peltast

• @PeltastDesign
    • View Profile

RTS Map Icons

on: March 02, 2012, 10:27:40 pm
Hey guys, long-time lurker here.  I'm working on an RTS (of sorts) set in ancient China in C# and some artistic direction would be really great, since I have absolutely none.  Everything works on a 32x32 grid, so all the sprites moving around on the map will fit within that.

The first is a general icon for individual people moving around the map.  The idea was sort of a wooden top with chipped paint.

Second is the icon for armies; since I couldn't think of a way to fit the concept of an entire army into a 32x32 box, I settled on a flag/pole.

Third is for cities; I have no idea how readable it is, and I'm pretty sure the colors could be way better.  :-\  The walls of this time were basically packed dirt, thus the yellow, but it probably just looks like gold.  And I think the perspective of the building and the walls are not entirely in sync...

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline ScaryPotato

• Astral Entry
    • View Profile
    • The Adventure Apes

Re: RTS Map Icons

Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 06:25:10 pm
I think the flag/standard works well, but the other two could use some clarification. For the first icon, I wouldn't worry about making it look too much like wood, but if you want to stick with that theme, it would be worth trying to make the face portion like a section through a log, where you'd see faint rings (they should be subtle, or it would look like a target), or perhaps leave it unpainted and have wood grain throughout?

With the building, it kind of looks like a mushroom on a yellow background, and I think that's because it's a sort of isometric view. If you did a straight orthographic view of the front, you'd be able to distinguish the separate roofs of the pagoda, and the yellow wall would more clearly look like a wall (it's kind of scroll-like right now) :)

Just my thoughts, hope they help!

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Re: RTS Map Icons

Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 07:12:39 pm
Here's how Kohan 2: Kings of War handled it.

The game is 3d, which is why the grid lines are all wavy, but imagine them flat and you have plain old iso.

The standing figures are all about 35 pixels high or so, a little larger than what you have.  They are a bit smudgy too- pixel art would be easier to read at this scale. 

The game uses that big gold icon above the horse to select a squad - similar to your flag.

The buildings are larger than one square.  This offers two benefits.  One is that they are easier to see -more pixels for graphics details.  The other is that more units can surround a building in order to attack it.

Hope this helps,
Tourist