AuthorTopic: 16 x 16 Robot sprite [wip]  (Read 3350 times)

Offline bitslap

• View Profile

16 x 16 Robot sprite [wip]

on: February 23, 2012, 03:53:23 pm
Hello

Pixel art beginner here. Working towards making pixel art for games.

First case study: Platformer/Run n' Gun sprite.

Idle stance x1:

Run cycle x1:

Ryn cycle x3:

Ryn cycle sprite sheet x1:

Don't mind the weapon as it is a placeholder only.

All in all I'm pretty happy with it and cannot see any major problems (perhaps I'm a bit blind after working on it too much. Boring palette but it was the only way I could emphasize "robot" properly.

Looking forward to be critiqued

Cheers

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Re: 16 x 16 Robot sprite [wip]

Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 04:38:07 am
Those Sprites look really nice! You have a good understanding of light placement but the top of the head doesn't look finished

Here's my change, it's a very simple one because I am also someone who is starting out with pixel art. But leaving the head unfinished like that makes it look very strange. You have enough space for that in an idle state, but you probably took it out for the running state. I'd suggest trying to make the head smaller or the body in order for it to fit because without that top his head looks very square and the rest of the head is very round.

Another thing I did was on his left eye. the gray is the end of his face from our perspective, carrying over his eye to that line is very strange so I removed it and instead placed the gray there in order to finish the head even further.

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:10 pm
Really cute. I agree with XLR8ED's comments about the top of the head, but I think it could be solved by adjusting the lighting on the head rather than adding the top pixels to close it. There's a lot of space in the head to add small detail to the robot's face. Another thing is the eyes don't exactly pop, so I darkened under the brow. I made a quick and dirty edit to get these ideas across. Hope this helps!

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 08:37:51 pm
I'd be tempted to use different color temperature for the light and shadow, but... somehow I think it works with plain grays if the BG color doesn't upset that.

Regarding the lost lines and "sel-out", it's always a real struggle. Hard to tell with this rather bright forum background color.  Do watch out for what will happen with the legs against a darker BG. Hmm, Editing the .windowbg2 color in the forum CSS with webdeveloper. I think the problem with the sel-out on the head is that it makes the head look wobbly against certain background colors, and in some cases the edge pixels appear to be (nonsense) details which doesn't contribute to the design.

The eyes are indeed sort of lost, but the question is whether the eyes are important to the definition of the character. if they are not that important, a low contrast version might work.