AuthorTopic: New to Pixel Art  (Read 2343 times)

Offline Upem

• View Profile

New to Pixel Art

on: February 24, 2012, 07:11:55 pm
So I read through a tutorial on getting started in pixel art and it recommended I start with a simple palette so I chose the old gameboy 4 color palette (I am not sure if the colors are 100% correct I got the palette from a random forum). It was enough to get me started. Only time I have ever messed around with any form of pixel art was recreating windows dialog boxes in MSPaint back in the day just outta boredom.

Anyways this has been my little canvas for learning different techniques the last 4-5 days.
The dresser on the right is zoomed in some to show a bit more detail. I used reference pictures for the lil goomba and the mushroom. The little guys are supposed to be ninjas but they kind of came out weird. ;] You are welcome to comment and critique if you would like.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: New to Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:34:54 pm
Hi and welcome to pixelation.

I made an edit:

-There are some lightning problems here and there like it's not clear what's going on with the drawers or that balloon that hardly reads as such.
-The dithering above the drawers looks way too busy while really adding nothing to the piece.
You should avoid dithering with high-contrast colors.
-The ninjas don't read as such because there's nothing adhering to the ninja cliche to them.
I covered their mouths, gave them something I think reads as a face and gave them dark clothing.
-You don't need to post zoomed pictures on here, clicking and shift+clicking lets you zoom in and out of pictures around here.

Keep it up!
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Upem

• View Profile

Re: New to Pixel Art

Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 02:03:16 am
Wow you improved it quite a bit! Those are awesome little ninjas. The thing at the top is supposed to be a side view of a ninja tossing throwing stars haha... It came out so bad though. Thanks for the advice and taking time to respond I appreciate it!