AuthorTopic: OGA's new RPG tiles  (Read 11755 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

OGA's new RPG tiles

on: February 22, 2012, 10:56:17 pm
Hello again!  I'm working on a new set of RPG tiles.  I'm still working on my other set, slowly, but this one is a paid job, so it gets priority.

So far I've got dirt, grass, trees and two different transitions between the dirt and grass.  I wanted the grass/dirt transition to have a darker edge as though the middle stuff is more compact, but it isn't looking right, so I made one without that transition.  The only problem is, it looks a bit plain which is why both kinds are in the preview.  I'm attempting a style that has detailed, contrasted edges with a simple and low contrast tile.  I'd prefer to keep things on the simple side, since I won't be the only artist working on this, and I'll need other people to be able to mimic this style.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: OGA's new RPG tiles

Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 12:27:30 am
I think the grass/dirt transition is a good idea. The problem is that it doesn't take perspective into account. The viewpoint angle looks like 70 degrees or something so if the grass area is raised then the transition at the top area would be obscured by the grass plateau. Here's a quick edit to illustrate. Sorry about the filedropper dl, photobucket seems to be verboten where I'm at for some reason ???

EDIT: Replaced the link.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:36:19 am by ErekT »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:32 am
I like the grass and the sand, but I don't like the transition. The sand looks like it belongs in a desert or something, so shouldn't the grass get patchy and brown before it turns into sand? Right now it looks like you just plopped the grass down on top of it...I agree with everything in ErekT's edit.

Also, sent you a PM!
Edit: Or maybe I didn't. Let me know? My outbox is empty for some reason, hahah.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:05:36 am by jams0988 »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:55 am
ErekT: That's helpful.  I think the main problem with that transition is that it takes too much space to do so.
Jams: Got it, replied.  It's hard dirt, not sand.  I realize its very brightly colored, but I was going for a more stylized look.

There won't be any detail tiles for a while, not until I've got all the basic tiles done.  I do intend to have a few variations before I'm done though.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:07:38 pm
I'd just avoid those vertical-oriented stones on the vertical dirt-to-grass transition tiles. It feels out of place given that the "natural" stone layout everywhere else is horizontal.

Offline Sakoshi

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 05:55:47 pm
I really like the way the trees are done, I want to see the characters which go along with the style. :y:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:13 pm
Lovely clean style, kinda Zelda-y :y:, OGA = Open Game Art?

Agree with Erik about the perspective, in addtion your drop shadow is much smaller than the tree canopy, the bush and some other detailing is so small as to get lost a bit and the scene as a whole could do with a shot of colour, particularly to differenciate the trees and bushes from the grass.

Also I'm not sure about the internal banks of grass, they look a bit strange in their current form. Messy example of some stuff:

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:11:15 pm by Facet »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:32 am
Gorgeous edit, Facet. You did a great job making the grass look thick and squishy, hahah.
Thanks for the reply, Sharm. Very informative. =)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 04:12:47 pm

The changes aren't very drastic, but hopefully good.  Facet, I'm not sure what you meant when you were talking about the bush, I don't have any bushes in my mockup.  Did you mean that my tree's foliage needed to be less detailed and have more general shapes because it was too noisy?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 07:07:49 pm
Ah, sorry I confused the little tufts of grass with Zelda bushes. I do think the leaves are a bit overdetailed but more importantly I think the tree could do with a different tint to the grass; the change in saturation is somewhat better but there's untapped potential there. Broadening the pallete of the dirt a bit would allow for more interest too, especially with the transition. :)  

Edit - The little internal highlights look great, I think the banks that you had before could look nice also, it was just the unresolved edges that looked strange to me; full 'tiers', perhaps with varying colours could lend a nice patchwork quality.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:10:24 am by Facet »