AuthorTopic: Pixel Spock =D  (Read 4088 times)

Offline Smuckers

• View Profile

Pixel Spock =D

on: February 22, 2012, 10:39:40 pm
So I was just watching Star Trek and decided to make Spock in pixel form. I got a picture from the internet and used that as a guide and made this:

I know it's not very good, but it's one of my first tries at the whole pixel art thing so I like it. How can I make it better? His mouth looks weird and unnatural. How can I fix this? When I add to it, it makes it look weird...The little text bubble also looks stupid, but it's hard to make text with only a couple pixels lol. The pic of Spock is a png. I tried an svg, but when I put that on my webpage, it wouldn't show up. Also, I made this in Adobe Illustrator. What programs do you guys use? Yes I know there is a page devoted to Software but I want your opinions. Also I want to make a cool animating .gif, but don't know how to make one. What program do you guys use for that? I tried using Photoshop but I can't get it.
Thanks guys!
There are 10 types of people in this world...Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline Smuckers

• View Profile

Re: Pixel Spock =D

Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 02:52:08 am
Please someone critique and answer the questions =D
There are 10 types of people in this world...Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 07:53:58 pm
well, he already seems pretty spock-ish. You may want to compare against a reference picture to know whether the ear should appear behind the skull or not. Maybe you want to draw a vulcan-salute hand rather than a "hi!" text balloon, which sounds out of place given Spock's habits.

You should better try to save your png at 1:1 ... there's some odd scaling effect, with edges between pixels being blurry. Having a clean picture definitely helps to get edits.

Offline Smuckers

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:39:03 am
What do you mean by 1:1?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:51 am
Don't scale it up. So each pixel is just one pixel, not squares like it is now.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 02:06:03 pm
If you made that in illustrator, you're going to need to switch to a new program.  It's rather impossible to do proper pixel art in a vector program.  Since vector scales infinitely it makes sense that you don't realize this is over sized.  In photoshop if you want do downscale it using the option "nearest neighbor"  and I would guess the canvas size is 47 pixels wide and 51 tall, though I may be off by a pixel or too.

Offline Smuckers

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:32 pm
What would you suggest as a good pixel art program? I like Gimp right now but it's a little weird for me to use.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56:34 pm
GIMP works.  It's all a matter of preference, though it will have to be a program that works in pixels.  There's a list of programs that will work here http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=3467.0