AuthorTopic: Experimenting with mobile device GUI  (Read 2498 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Experimenting with mobile device GUI

on: February 12, 2012, 05:50:56 pm
Thought I should put something up. Trying out some graphics for mobile devices. Having a hard time placing and doing a clean and readable, but still good-looking GUI, with no space
and big fingers involved.

Iv'e looked into some adventure/RPG games already on the market. Though I find the lot of them have a messy GUI. Maby you got any suggestions of how to place and do it?

This is not actually going to be a game, just experimenting.

The weapon is a slingshot (but a real one this time, not some giant piece some birds put out in the dessert...)
So you will use the joystick to move (to the bottom left) and the bottoms to the right to select your weapon, items ect. and you use the weapon by dragging on the screen and release, you know the drill.
You can also click the backpack button to open the inventory and drag items to the bottom right slots.

My biggest concert would be the dragging to shoot action. As you dont want to cover up the space around the character with your finger I think it would be better to have some kind of button that you drag
at the bottom right corner, a charge, kind of golfgame thing, but then you wouldnt have any quickslots for items and you don't want to cover up too much space with loads of different buttons.

Oppinions?

(It's probably not exactily the right size of the screen, it would be a bit smaller I think)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 05:55:36 pm by coffee »

Offline ScaryPotato

• Astral Entry
    • View Profile
    • The Adventure Apes

Re: Experimenting with mobile device GUI

Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:29:51 pm

What if you had a third button that would show in a meter or value how hard the shot is? I suppose the currently selected weapon would work as well, depending on how it gets set up code-wise. Just my two cents!

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Experimenting with mobile device GUI

Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 08:55:17 pm
Figured it would probably be best just to have 1 button with the ability to show both show currently equipped weapon and to be used as the drag and shoot button, as a Jump button would be preferably on the right side aswell. And if you were to use another weapon in the slot, say a dagger, it would change to another code and be just a push button. Also you don't want to have the buttons too tight as it's pretty anoying when you too often accidentaly push something you dont want too.

If there was to be a power counter it would just appear above the button when you press and hold it to shoot
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:57:25 pm by coffee »