AuthorTopic: Adventure Apes Screenshots (WIP Platformer)  (Read 11369 times)

Offline ScaryPotato

• Astral Entry
    • View Profile
    • The Adventure Apes

Re: Adventure Apes Screenshots (WIP Platformer)

Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 12:06:18 am
It was pointed out a while back by pistachio that the lighting on the player sprites was inconsistent and could be improved. Seemed kind of daunting at the time to go and redo all the images, but in the end, my goal is to make a game with as much visual appeal possible...so they've been revamped. I played around with the saturation and colours a little as well and think the end result is a lot nicer. It's fairly subtle when playing the game, but the character has a lot more depth now and seems to fit in with the rest of the game better.

Here's a little comparison of several of the sprites ( I hope it hits the mark!):

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Adventure Apes Screenshots (WIP Platformer)

Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 09:32:58 am
here's some inspiring concept art by kyomu. I saved it for my "lost temple" level ... maybe you'll find it helpful too.

I wanted to make three variants each type of block, plain, lava and bejewelled in an attempt to make the tiling seem a little less obvious.
You should be able to do that with less pain with two layers: one that contains the "plain rocks" and a "jewel overlay" (overlay at run/build time, as you see fit).

Btw, have you considered simply using a smaller window and dropping the shadow thing altogether ? I'm not sure it brings so much to have it applied globally on the game, personnally.