AuthorTopic: [WIP] Things That Are Not Lizard People  (Read 25451 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Re: Lizard Guys

Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:22 pm
Thanks.

No time for drawing today so I'll just throw in a quick comment and then begone.

Well, he probably just meant that the male and female sprites were too similar, and gave you some quick ideas. Tattoos can have any meaning you want them to, as long as you let the player know what they mean through dialog or whatever. You can make the tails shaped a bit differently; thinner for the women? The hair you could make a bit finer or longer, I guess.

I don't think it's a huge problem, though. If I had to guess which was male, and which was female, I'd be able to already. That said, the girl isn't especially feminine looking, either. If you told me she was a guy, I wouldn't object. It's up to you whether or not that's okay. They are lizard people, so you might not care about making the women especially feminine looking, hahah.
Well I didn't say it's supposed to be female yet 2 people took for granted that one has to be already.
I'm mostly focusing on making their colors and anatomy non-terrible and they're supposed to look kinda-cute yet still physically capable.
In the end, they're supposed to be enemy types in a golden axe-ish type of game and and angry barbarian punches them so hard that their bones fly out of their bodies.

Imaginative anatomy is pretty good :y: although the first guy's right thigh appears a bit longer than his left. lizardgirl is higher contrast in comparison, more bridging shades would be nice, as Jams suggests.

As to gender distinction, it's certainly hard to make subtle anatomical changes at low res, you really have to make it obvious. Your lizardman is sporting a crop top with veiled thong combination and has implied long hair in addition; you can imagine how that could be misinterpreted objectively.
Yes I will try to look into that leg.
They've always been a mess for me to get right if one points directly forward because lolperspective.

Also that's not quite a crop top, it's a split cape kinda thingy which you can almost not see from the front though.
It's supposed to be tribal clothing and I thought dreadlocks-type-of-hair was exempt from looking girly.

Maybe I'll take the first ones shirt off since it's against the law for males to wear shirts in golden axe anyway (unless you're a dwarf) and turn that fancy halberd into a primitive spear cause it's all a bit too clean-looking right now.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 02:35:59 pm
I feel the sprite looks a little flatter than it should because the colors are crammed too much together at the mid-range. You could also add some highlights to the skin to make it nice and shiny.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 08:53:35 pm
Oh I completely forgot to check the tones in grayscale.
Yeah some of them are very similar to each other, I'll try and even things out a bit.

I don't know about highlights on the skin. Makes things look a bit too shiny/sweaty.

Update:

Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 11:24:23 pm
why don't work on flow, anatomy, lighting or colors in detail? By improving at least one thing the completely image could get better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:31:28 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 11:36:53 am
Thanks.

Update:

Anatomy it is then.
I got rid of the distracting pishposh so we can actually see what's going on there and tried giving things a bit more definition.
I don't quite know what broad, sweeping things to do about the colors though. Purple is something I'd rather like to avoid since it creeps into about everything I do.
I'm also not sure what to do about the flow or the lightning.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Lizard People

Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 05:05:13 am
I guess what first catches my eye about the flow is the fact that his bottom half looks ready to destroy, while the top half reads more as a strong sentinel guarding a precious stone. There isn't really a strong action line on your sprite right now, and it makes him feel a little bit static.

Here's a really rough illustration:

I'd either straighten out his legs to where they wouldn't be any further apart than the width of his chest, or hunch him over his spear more so that his chest is out past his hips. Just try to establish a really strong line that his entire body can follow.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 04:19:24 am
Yeah the upper body really is a bit too straight.
Thanks.

Update:
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 01:25:00 pm

This one was your best version. I don't know why you've moved so far away from it! The edits with his pose are better though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 01:27:00 pm by slym »

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 13, 2012, 05:44:03 pm
Why is that one the best?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 13, 2012, 08:12:04 pm

I actually think that one is your best. Your old ones were interesting looking, but they were burning the crap out of my eyes with all those super-saturated colors. > <
The newest one looks a bit too dull, like he's made out of play-doh or something, I think.

And cyan's edit is the most appealing overall, to me. I think one done in that style with backgrounds to match would look really nice.