AuthorTopic: [WIP] Things That Are Not Lizard People  (Read 25480 times)

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

[WIP] Things That Are Not Lizard People

on: February 06, 2012, 02:07:43 am
NEW:

Old topic:

Hi guys, I've had a pixel-itch I had to scratch lately.
It has been a while.

So tonight, this is what happened:

I don't quite know what to do with it at this point besides mashing more colors into it but I'm sure there's something I am missing.
Any suggestions?

OLD:

m sure there
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:31:15 pm by 9_6 »
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: Lizard Guy

Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 02:19:55 am
I find the blue for the outlines very off putting.  You may need to add a color to have a better outline color.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 02:46:41 am
Love that heavy blue. May be a bit too heavy though. The only critique I have is that it really needs to be cleaned up and refined.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 03:25:03 am
Ah that blue I see what you mean.
The green parts used to be blue before I recolored them to green to make them pop out a bit more but I left the darker blue shades in.

I've gotten rid of almost all the blue-ness and made some other various adjustments:

Edit: Messed around a bit more
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 04:27:01 am by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 04:55:35 am
That indeed looks much better.  Good stuff.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:26:05 pm
Okay thanks, I guess for now we can call this one done-ish then.
I've made a sketch for another one but didn't get to actually pixel it yet so for now I'll just post that in case someone sees something in need to be fixed.

Cheers.
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:04:37 pm
you should make more difference between man and women, like the hair or some ear's accessories or even tatoo

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 10:41:12 pm
I don't know if I can work with such subtle things with anyone even noticing at that size.
Or what kind of tattoo makes ambiguous things appear more feminine or masculine. Please elaborate.

Also progress:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:43:56 pm by 9_6 »
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Lizard Guys

Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 11:22:21 pm
I don't know if I can work with such subtle things with anyone even noticing at that size.
Or what kind of tattoo makes ambiguous things appear more feminine or masculine. Please elaborate.
Well, he probably just meant that the male and female sprites were too similar, and gave you some quick ideas. Tattoos can have any meaning you want them to, as long as you let the player know what they mean through dialog or whatever. You can make the tails shaped a bit differently; thinner for the women? The hair you could make a bit finer or longer, I guess.

I don't think it's a huge problem, though. If I had to guess which was male, and which was female, I'd be able to already. That said, the girl isn't especially feminine looking, either. If you told me she was a guy, I wouldn't object. It's up to you whether or not that's okay. They are lizard people, so you might not care about making the women especially feminine looking, hahah.

The girl does seem a little unfinished when you look at her next to the guy, since she only has two skin tones instead of three. But you said "progress," so I'm assuming you're still working on her?
Good sprites, anyway. I think they're gonna look really cool when you animate them. =)

Also, thanks for the "no blurry pixels!" link in your sig. That's awesome. =D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 11:23:59 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Lizard Guys

Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:35:11 am
Imaginative anatomy is pretty good :y: although the first guy's right thigh appears a bit longer than his left. lizardgirl is higher contrast in comparison, more bridging shades would be nice, as Jams suggests.

As to gender distinction, it's certainly hard to make subtle anatomical changes at low res, you really have to make it obvious. Your lizardman is sporting a crop top with veiled thong combination and has implied long hair in addition; you can imagine how that could be misinterpreted objectively.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:41:24 am by Facet »