AuthorTopic: Animations! ...  (Read 4164 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Animations! ...

on: February 04, 2012, 07:11:55 pm

I need help figuring out how to polish these animations. Advice?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:58:40 pm by slym »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: Animations! ...

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 10:40:51 pm
The knife attack needs a lot more range, the legs need to move when drawing the bow, and someone else can handle the walking because I'm not too good with that. Otherwise they're all pretty good, the death animation was refined well enough in the other thread.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:49:06 pm
Like Phlakes said, the knife attack needs a lot more range...it also looks a little weird how he just...pokes like that. He should be lunging forward with his body and legs if he's trying to hurt something, heheh. The bow attack looks pretty good, but it takes pretty long for him to do it, and it doesn't look like he can do that animation in the air. While that's realistic, I'm not sure if that's what you're aiming for gameplay-wise. Just something to think about.

For your monster death animation, I'm assuming it's supposed to be like a puff of smoke, a la some of the Zelda games. Right now it kinda just looks like a blob growing and dissipating, though. I think it's because there's no real ease-out in the animation - it's basically all the same speed. It should be exploding and expanding very quickly at first, and then wisping away a bit slower once the explosion is over with...here's a little example from me, since I've been wanting to try an explosion lately anyway.

Nothing amazing, but I think it illustrates the point I'm trying to make...I'd check out the death-splosion-smoke effects in Cave Story, too. The guy who made that did a good job with those, I thought.

Edit: Ah, and the monster-eating-his-head animation looks like the monster has teeth and is laughing, because of the strong white. It still reads good enough, I think, but the first think I thought of was a row of teeth.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:51:37 pm by jams0988 »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:44 pm

I tried doing the expanding thing. It's still not seeming right. I'm really lost with this explosion. I want to have it be a "poof" rather than massive explosion, but I don't know how to accomplish that.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff440/t_redmer/bow_1_high.gif

Added the high angle bow animation. As far as these animations go, I'll see what frames I can take out to make them fit in with the speed of the other animations.

Next up I'll also be addressing the dagger attack. The main issue I'm having with it is that I don't know what motion the character would be making.

Thank you so much for all of the critique.

[edit] Speed on bow animation?

[edit 2] New Knife anim?

[edit 3]

Hero when he is older:

(After he becomes a rogue) The red string on his arm is what indicates him as part of the rebellion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 04:37:15 pm by slym »

Offline lucas_irineu

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 04:52:07 pm
Your knife needs more action. And it also has to be bigger, especially if it's for cutting grass as you told me . Something like this.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 05:23:02 pm
The super-slow shrinking of the creature is what's killing the impact of the explosion for me. With the knife attack I'd try either a straight jab with anticipatory pull-back as an offensive move or a horizontal arc with plenty of torsion for a spot of Zelda-style gardening. +1 for going bigger; there's barely any range on the current anim. Bow looks good.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 05:59:06 pm
I'll hit up the other stuff asap. For now, here is the equip animation

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 08:18:47 pm
I tried doing the expanding thing. It's still not seeming right. I'm really lost with this explosion. I want to have it be a "poof" rather than massive explosion, but I don't know how to accomplish that.
The most obvious thing that's making it look weird is that the smoke stops rising while it's dissipating. Take a look at mine (or any other decent explosion you can find) again, and pay attention to how the smoke disappears. You have to make sure the smoke is rising the whole time, otherwise it looks like you just started erasing the smoke from the bottom up. I had the same problem when I did mine, hahah. I just took the selector tool and moved my whole smoke cloud up a pixel or two each frame, and it looked a hundred times better. I'd try the same with yours, too, and work from there. =)

Actually, here. (Very) quick edit to show what I mean...you're going to need a lot more frames of animation for this effect to really work though, I think. My original explosion is fifteen frames, and even then it's not very smooth...

I changed the shape of the smoke a little, too. Since there's a little poof-explosion thing pushing the smoke, it seemed like it'd get cut in half from the middle, without the trail of smoke. I think I know what you were trying to do with yours, but I'm not sure how that effect works, and I can't find any decent reference...

Edit: Found some good reference for the effect I think you were trying to achieve with yours! =D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ1WxoCYVXM&feature=related (tilt your head sideways, hahah)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZk6sEIt61I

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:43:34 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 09:01:57 pm
Here check out this video slym

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woA-73sKxKQ&list=PL83E8024222D13E07&index=18&feature=plpp_video  

Terkoiz is one of the better animators I've seen.  A bit nuts but he is really good.  Also this animation is done in flash but it's frame by frame so you can apply it to pixels as well.

Oh and this animation.

I don't think you can use it as an attack slash buuut it looks like it would work great if he unsheathed the knife from his back.  That's the first thing it made me think of.  Needs to be tweaked a bit if you do that though.

Also if it's going to be a knife attack it's probably easier if you make it a stabbing motion.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 11:33:31 pm by Mike »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 05, 2012, 11:19:21 pm
if it is a explosion and would need to "blow up" not fall together. If it falls together its an implosion, and implosions don't make boom.