AuthorTopic: EFF YOU, mister dragonface! *Updated 06/01/06*  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

EFF YOU, mister dragonface! *Updated 06/01/06*

on: June 01, 2006, 01:00:24 am
I got sick of the piece I was working on with the dragon, so I started doodling something about robots instead:

Old:
http://h1.ripway.com/tremulant/robo.PNG

Current:

I just finished reading A Clockwork Orange, and started with the centre guy (formerly a disembodied head) whose headgear was inspired by the whole Ludovico thing. Then I thought "no, wait, robots are cooler", and this happened.

Some stuff I've noticed even now (after uploading, before posting) still needs work. Some better AA, massive 'tweaking' on the foremost robot, and... stuff... so yeah.

Please viddy and crit profusely droogs.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 03:28:41 am by Tremulant »

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Re: EFF YOU, mister dragonface!

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 01:21:53 am
first of all, awesome piece. I like the destroyed robot, and the silhouettes are a nice effect that help create the illusion of an army of robots. If you were to change anything, I think adding some shadows might help. Right now it kind of feels like they're all floating on some canvas, although the random lines and parts help establish a ground.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 01:26:04 am
Real horrorshow!

I like this a lot, killer baby robots are scary.  Not sure the relatively light background was the best choice, kinda makes them seem like they're floationg nondescriptly and a darker color would give a slighty grimmer feel to it... though it would kinda screw up the AA completely.  Plus the gray

Everything else seems top notch to me.

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 02:27:56 am
I never like outer AA that much...it scares me. Make the smoke coming from the gun more noticeable too! Interesting stuff otherwise..

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 03:40:25 am
Make the smoke coming from the gun more noticeable too! Interesting stuff otherwise..

Yeah, I suppose it does kind of blend in with the other robots as well as not being too different from the bg. I guess you just have to decide whether or not color conservation is that important to you, or simply reuse a different color.

Offline Razz

• AM I ENDING ALL MY QUESTIONS WITH PERIODS.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:09:22 am
You have no idea how happy that makes me.

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 12:55:20 pm
heh, I love it. Great colours and those robots are cute. I think theres some perspective issues and maybe some nice shadows would make it even cooler, but as it stands it's just wicked, nice work!

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 05:47:54 pm
Very cute, I love the robots...however I am not too fond of the person. Very classy either way, great work.
alexander

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #8 on: June 01, 2006, 07:54:52 pm
Yes, shadows would do wonders for this. It seems as though they're all just sort of floating, and it's tough to determine the depth of each of them. Nice work all around though.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:19:08 am
Updated. Thanks, all, for the crittage.

InvaderLupus: Shadows are in, and rightly so :P. Thanks for pointing that out, 'cause bad as I am at cast shadows, I think even my poor attempt helps give the appearance of some kind of ground. This (the addition of shadow) is probably the most significant update. Oh, and in regards to your other comment, colour conservation is important to me for some reason. Regardless, I added a new shade in the update. Can never have too much AA, y'know (well... not exactly true, but carrying on...).

Darien: You gave me a cool mental image by suggesting darker background. That, combined with stronger (more atmospheric) lighting could've given this a way more ominous atmosphere, which would have undoubtedly been cool. Like you said though, it'd pretty well blow all the AA and stuff, so... Appy polly loggies for not implementing, 'cause it's a flip horrorshow suggestion.

Alkaline: Smoke from gun=at least 10% more noticeable. Hurrah! Outer AA stays, tho. I'm an AA whore. ;)

Razz: You have no idea how happy men in tight briefs make m.... uh... thanks!

Tinygiant: Perspective issues, no doubt, are rampant :P. I tried to sort of maybe kinda touch on them, but I  probably failed. After all, if I knew how to fix 'em, they probably wouldn't have happened in the first place ;D. Anything stick out specifically?

Alex: Anything particular wrong with the person, or is it just a personal preference kind of thing? I know he's.. uh.. a tad different then the robots, so I can totally see where you're coming from if it's just the style that gets you. Otherwise, though, let me know so I can do summink about it! Either way, thankees, glad you like.

David:  :-*