AuthorTopic: [WIP] Graveyard Mockup (C&C Welcome)  (Read 10245 times)

Offline zerogravitas

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Graveyard Mockup (C&C Welcome)

Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 11:34:12 am
Wow! Lots to think about, thanks guys.

Mathias: Yup, you're spot on. That was my initial inspiration, hoping not to ape it too much though. It's a great piece but I'm trying for a different style. I'm pretty new to pixelling so hopefully I'll be able to develop this.

I'm going to go away and work on some of your suggestions. Hope to be back soon with some improvements.

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:42 pm
Wow that looks amazing, though the lighting on the trees looks a bit overdone. I would move the highlights a bit higher so that the light only hits the top of the tree, and not most of the tree like it does right now. If the shadows are bigger on the underside of each leaves part it will make the lighting seem a bit more dynamic.

Offline zerogravitas

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:10:40 pm
Small update. Redid the statue and ground tiles. Changed moon colour. Recoloured the crypt. Trees and clouds are pretty rough, just want to know if they're headed in the right direction. Still a long way to go...

Cheers :)

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 04:21:13 pm
There is something i don't like in your mockup, but it's hard to explain this feeling. I can't see your work like a spooky cemetery.
Maybe it's not your intention (so it's normal i don't have this feeling), but for me this kind of cemetery should be looks like thoses exemples:

So the tree should looks like dead,
some fog could be added
Ground colors could be near brown/green and not blue
I'm thinking your sky is too dark.

You wrote this is a level for a game you are working on, but the player will never see the moon ? (like the demon's crest screen)
If your mockup is a 1:1, so the hero's sprite will be very small !
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:23:42 pm by kriss »

Offline MattB

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 10:17:23 pm
I honestly like the higher contrast of your original image over the toned downed colors of your second. The design of the ground tiles is improved, though.

I agree with kriss, that your cemetery looks rather serene compared to most video game cemeteries. The only think giving it a slightly ominous vibe is the lynched half skeleton and pile of bones.

If this is supposed to be a dangerous, haunted cemetery, perhaps add more signs of defilement and decay like your bones. If it's supposed to be a safe area where the player might encounter a friendly NPC or something, then maybe ditch the skeleton?

Edit:
Oh! And like everyone else is saying, the trees look really nice. So do your updated clouds! All the art does.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:19:59 pm by MattB »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 11:31:37 pm

I debated internally if I should even post this because I am not sure it's any better. But I do think more contrast in darkness might be a good thing. The shadows should eat up the forms, that's the basis of all occultation.

Offline zerogravitas

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 09:46:03 pm
Hello again. Another update, tried to address some of the issues.

Helm: Glad you decided to post it, I really liked the idea of the shadows eating up the forms of the objects. Tried to do something along those lines.

MattB: I liked the high contrast too, but it did look very bright. I've tried to increase the contrast and darken things up a bit.

Kriss: I Agree that it's not very spooky, hoping that the new, darker look helps with that. There will be more signs of death and decay, hanging corpses, piles of bones, etc. in the full level. Just trying to get the look of this section right at the moment.

You're right about the proportions though, I just threw the mockup together without giving enough thought to how it would look in game. As this is just a cropped section, it's still not quite the right ratio but I've altered it so that it's nearer to what it should look like. I've also added fairly rough versions of the HUD and a couple of sprites, to better give a sense of scale.

Thanks for all the comments, keep them coming, hopefully it's going in the right direction :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:46 am
Much better now, I think. It looks like nighttime now! Do you think you will refine things on a pixel level though?

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 10:59:46 am
i like a lot this new update.
Dark green is good, the ghost and the yellow eyes are really great idea  :y:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:10 pm
Nice scene, great improvements ;D

Whilst near-black for the sky is a common pictorial trope; if the moon is the primary light-source for the scene then the sky should be lighter than the ground. Reserving the darkest portion of the palette for some bg sihouette to lend more depth I think would be prudent. The clouds & foliage are a bit amorphous, noisy at the moment I'd concentrate on making things read nicely in big simple shapes before adding too much detail. The whole thing is pretty huge though, cleaning things up is going to pose quite a challenge.

Quick masked edit:

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 01:16:07 am by Facet »