AuthorTopic: Game tiles  (Read 13372 times)

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Game tiles

on: February 01, 2012, 03:52:59 am
So i'm relatively new to pixel art (only started like 5-6 months ago) but I thought I'd be interesting to post some of my work here and get some feedback and tips.

All these textures were made for Minecraft cause it's a relatively easy environment to work with but they can obviously be transfered over and used as tiles for 2D sidescrollers.
I'm working on some 32x32 pixel textures (7 colors each I think) right now with a friend, so I'll be posting more work from this project soon.

WIP cobblestone

stone

wood

(The bellow cobblestone is made by him)

I've also got some work from another project I've been working on by myself. 16x16, 5 colors each.

And I tried to make a mockup of the dirt to see how it would look like as a 2D sidescroller. I'll be doing more work and concepts with this probably.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:21:38 pm by Lilyo »

Offline nornagon

• View Profile

Re: Game tiles

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 05:10:54 am
The dirt tile is really repetitive -- add another dirt tile and use the two of them randomly. This will help you break up the grid look.

Also, the 'inside' tiles aren't different enough from the 'outside' tiles, I think.

Otherwise looks awesome, good work!

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 05:27:21 am
They're looking pretty good! I like the 16x16 tiles, especially. I'd really like to see them at a normal zoom, though. You don't have to scale them up! We can zoom in just by clicking on the pictures in the forum. :3

No crits here; just keep up the good work!

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 04:54:35 pm
Thanks^

Also

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:27:51 pm
Lilyo! Remember me from the MCforums?

I think the 16x stuff is amazing! Some of the 2D sidescroller tiles's shapes look...awkward, maybe try to make the tiles more curved?

The 32x textures look great so far, although the stone seems to have a ton more contrast than the cobblestone, i'm not sure if that is what you were going for? I'd have to see it in ame side by side to judge, though.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 10:44:11 pm
The thing is, all this is very well made and there's pretty much nothing technically wrong, but all the tiles are just... ehh. They don't have any life, it just looks like dull dirt and grass and wood you'd expect to see every day. Get some hue shift in there, some purples and blues mixed with the browns, bring out some saturation in the plants, get your highlights out of the mid range, vary the patterns a bit more, and these could be brilliant. Right now they're still very good, but almost nothing stands out.

Offline Xamllew

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 12:00:40 am
I'm not a fan of the lack of contrast and washed out tones but I will say they are very smooth and well made.  :y: The dirt reminds me of of Eld's Minecraft texture pack.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 12:04:16 am by Xamllew »

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: February 03, 2012, 03:02:53 am
The thing is, all this is very well made and there's pretty much nothing technically wrong, but all the tiles are just... ehh. They don't have any life, it just looks like dull dirt and grass and wood you'd expect to see every day. Get some hue shift in there, some purples and blues mixed with the browns, bring out some saturation in the plants, get your highlights out of the mid range, vary the patterns a bit more, and these could be brilliant. Right now they're still very good, but almost nothing stands out.

Show me the ways. I don't exactly know what you mean, edit something so I can see.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 03:37:44 am
Alright, I'm not terribly experienced with tiles, but the point is the most important part-

1. The palette is very washed out, and whatever hue shifting there is is just neutral -> warm. The lightest colors are also at about half luminosity, that is to say not very light at all. You'll see that the darkest color for both edited tiles is a straight violet. You said you're new to pixel art so dramatic hue shifting isn't something you should expect to know just yet, but pixel art is more about implying features rather than actually drawing them out. It's the same principle with colors- a very cool color, even if it shouldn't fit with the palette (like that violet), implies very dark areas at such a small scale, and complementing the cool with warm highlights makes it much more visually appealing than a ramp of brown.

2. The clusters of dirt are basically in a 3x3 grid. Tiles are already at risk of being repetitive, and having a grid inside the grid adds way too much to the monotony.

3. Varied dirt clusters, but still tried to stay close to the original. There's not much to explain other than with the example.

4. Then you can try experimenting a bit, the one on the left adds more shadows and highlights. Like I said before, the complementary warm and cool are nice to look at, so having more warm and cool can make more of it look nice (in moderation, of course). The one on the right just has smaller dirt clusters to experiment with the pattern a bit more.

Not much else I can say, if one of the professionals wants to do a better job that would definitely be helpful, but at least I could clear up a few things.

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 11:37:23 pm
Ah I see, though that's a bit subjective isn't it? I mean, sure I could do that but it would change my current art style and I find the current color pallet to be pretty easy on the eyes. I could always go back at the end and edit some stuff but I'll probably keep on working with what I have for now and make a few alternates for dirt so its not so repetitive.

Also some more of these character guys I made randomly a while ago..

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:27 pm
Ah I see, though that's a bit subjective isn't it? I mean, sure I could do that but it would change my current art style and I find the current color pallet to be pretty easy on the eyes. I could always go back at the end and edit some stuff but I'll probably keep on working with what I have for now and make a few alternates for dirt so its not so repetitive.

Well, everything objective you've already got down. The tiles are just a bit dull, if you want to go with that style you're definitely free to, and the art will (it already does) look good, but it won't stand out to anyone.

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 12:40:00 am
Do you think you can show me any examples from other games? Like I'm sort of inspired by cave story and spelunky a bit, but I dont have a lot of inspiration to help me with these.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 12:47:04 am
This is a wonderful, classic tutorial. It might actually help to read the whole thing, it makes some great points.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 12:49:22 am
I think your tiles look great.  You just need to put more of your content you made into your mockups to break up the monotony (the tiles are already there, you just need to place them).

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:11:40 pm
Posted some new stuff, I dunno I haven't felt like working on this stuff lately.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:22:00 pm by Lilyo »