AuthorTopic: [WIP] Trials of Droids (C&C Welcome)  (Read 3745 times)

Offline MattB

• View Profile

[WIP] Trials of Droids (C&C Welcome)

on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:31 am
Hi, just wanted to post some work I've been doing, redesigning sprites for a puzzle platformer I'm working on called Trials of Droids.

The originals (hopefully you can tell which ones they are) were rough sprites by my friend Eddie who came up with the concept for the game. I have to redo a truck load of them and just wanted to share my progress with everyone to make the task a little less arduous. Please feel free to critique and comment.

I'll update this thread as I progress.

Scarabs:

Alien:

And here are the two protagonists (I posted about them in an older thread as well and got some good advice.)

Old Big Dig:

New Big Dig:

Old Lil' Wig:

New Lil' Wig:

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [WIP] Trials of Droids (C&C Welcome)

Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 11:56:24 pm
Dig is vastly improved. I'd probably just tweak the blue so that it isn't just a linear intensity change. Play with hue and saturation a bit. The position of the arm in the fall frame looks very unnatural. I'd just raise the arm a bit from the jump frame.

Wig I don't understand structurally or what the colour changes are about. Is that a line of thrusters underneath? In the multicoloured frames does it open its mouth to shoot a rainbow beam? Could probably do with a redesign to make it clearer.

Scarabs look pretty good, but I don't understand the mouths. Are their heads turned toward the viewer? Or are their mouths of the sides of their heads?

Offline MattB

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 04:51:41 am
Wow, yeah. I'll have to do as you suggested with BigDig.

Lil' Wig does have a line of thrusters underneath him and does shoot a rainbow beam out of his mouth. So yeah. He's just a little bell shaped droid with a cylinder head.

As far as the scarabs go... I dunno. I suppose you could interpret them as having their head turned towards the viewer. Eddie (by no means an artist) just drew the originals that way and I didn't change them. A lot of the game takes place in a pyramid space ship and at times there's an Egyptian vibe. So I suppose its sort of like Egyptian art, only instead of having their bodies always face forward, their heads do. *shrug* There's no excuse really. I just kind of like them that way. I may change it though. It is weird.

Offline MattB

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 12:40:03 am
Fish Bot:

Here's one I've been working on today. Not completely happy with it. The original design is pretty bizarre. Not sure what to do with it. Should I keep the original color scheme or go with one of the other ones?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 10:47:25 am
More good progress, I gotta say!

At a glance the fish-bot almost seems pillowshaded. Looking closer it does follow a clear lightsource, but if you get rid of the lighter colors it becomes evident there's a band of shadow around places where the light hits. The head of the sprite is also a problem. Try shading it like a sphere.

Lower right design seems more like a robot than the lower left, probably because of the grays. I would go for a cross between the two, metal legs/green mouth.

Metal is shiny and has pretty high values, so I added in a lighter color to reflect that, missed out on the basic reflections here, but you get the idea. This could also be applied to BigDig (Note there are speculars on the fishbot as well. Used the lightest metal color for that.)

Quick edit here to demonstrate what didn't get through the above text.

HTH.

May edit this post later.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:44:43 am by pistachio »

Offline MattB

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 06:52:56 am
Here's a slightly revised fishbot (I should do more, but I'm moving on for now):

And this fellow called the rocketeer:

I still have to do this one boss called the killdozer left and then a bunch of level objects. I touched him up a little a while back, but he'll need an overhaul to fit in with the updated graphics:

Also, here's the tiles. I was the one who did them to begin with, and I'm fairly satisfied but C&C welcome:

Offline MattB

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 04:08:49 pm
Here's my first attempt at a revised Killdozer (see post above for the original).