AuthorTopic: GR#129 - Labyrinth - RPG Projection Sprites and Tiles  (Read 37558 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: [WIP] "Labyrinth" Sprites and Tiles

Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 05:34:22 pm
I agree with a bounce.  Physically it makes sense and it's a small touch that adds to the overall of death.

Also it's a little weird that her leg stays in the same place when she falls over.  Instead of falling it looks like she is bending over with her right foot(screen right) being the base.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: June 08, 2013, 08:00:59 am
New stuff.

Some characters. Tried out different heights, builds, etc. Skin tones are a challenge with this palette at such a small scale. There's like a total of two nice ones. I don't like the wonky attempt I made at something more pale. It's fine, though. I'll stick with approximating and rely on the portraits to be more precise~

Concept pixels for the shadow creatures. Tough to make silhouette-type creatures at such a small scale. Still working on them. :blind:

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 08, 2013, 09:59:33 pm
Very lovely, I like how characters are made. Good job!  I don't think I could give some critique or usefull advice, instead I'll just give some lovin' to your pixel art.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: June 13, 2013, 02:39:59 am

More characters, tried to fix some skin colors. I did not like that wonky "pale" one that I tried, and then it kind of grew on me, but I like the flat pink one better. I probably need to break my 16 pixel width rule at this point. A couple unfinished characters in there as well, oops. All the identical color-swapped characters at the bottom are versions of the main character that I'm trying out, but I think they look a little boring, especially the guy. :(

And this totally unnecessary grass tile that I am ridiculously proud of for some reason.

Working hard on a new mockup but nothing to show yet.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 13, 2013, 03:27:33 am
Two things. I've always heard the common rule in pixel art is "No Black."

One improvement is to change the outline a bit, whenever it's possible.

. . .

Also, the perspective seems off if this is going to be for a RPG.

I always get this wrong too when creating my own sprites.

I tried to fix it a bit for you (final sprite on the left):

Apologies for my lack of expertise, but there's probably something you can do with it.

Still needs work on the bottom half, the feet mainly.

. . .

In other news, it's really looking excellent! Keep up the good work, and don't give up.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 03:29:37 am by Vakinox »

Offline r4c7

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 13, 2013, 07:19:16 pm
For the light skin, maybe this would suit your needs. I don't know if you tried it and didn't like the look of it, but I think it looks okay.

It would definitely look better with some tweaking. I think the problem with your original was that the shading took away from the redability, but the light color is too light by itself.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: June 20, 2013, 01:06:09 am
Two things. I've always heard the common rule in pixel art is "No Black."
Also, the perspective seems off if this is going to be for a RPG.
The rules are really more like guidelines. ;D These are meant for particularly dark backgrounds. I hate to just cry, "It's my style!" when faced with critique but this is one of those things that I think really is a stylistic thing. (I mean, if it looks bad, I'll change it, but "that's the rule" isn't really a good enough reason for me when I like how it looks just fine. But really though, does it look bad? Because if that's the case....)

I had a long discussion about the perspective earlier in the thread and I decided on a more side-on one after a lot of thought.

For the light skin, maybe this would suit your needs. I don't know if you tried it and didn't like the look of it, but I think it looks okay.

I did try that and I didn't like it. It looks good there, but surrounded by the other sprites, it looks washed-out and sickly and maybe like an alien or something. XD If I nudged the color to be a little more saturated/warmer, maybe, but I'm not sure I want to alter everything else in the game with that color. I'll tweak it a bit and try it out? Thanks for the input!

->
Changed two colors to make them look nicer as skin tones. Doesn't seem to have broken the world yet.

I've still been dicking around with character concepts and sprites, as you can see. Still no new mockup.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #57 on: June 20, 2013, 03:04:30 am
I love your style and colors! I remember this from way back, glad you started working on it again.

I don't think the black looks ugly either, at least not when you break up the outlines a bit.
But I'd have to agree on the perspective, some of the sprites show too much neck and shoulders, which should be obstructed by the head, when viewing from above.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 20, 2013, 12:10:32 pm
I think perspective is fine except for little things like the little round table is too close too the wall, the base should have more space because of the size of the table top.
At the moment it must be hovering with no shadow to be in that place.

And the picture frame could use some thickness perhaps 2 pixels for the plane on the very top, and maybe 1 pixel inside (thin top plane of the bottom bit), and perhaps some tweaking, so it doesn't look like cardboard.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:54 am
Still tweaking the palette. Figuring out a good palette is an art all in itself and I'm really proud of the job I did on this one. Endlessly tweaking colors is one of the reasons I decided on a limited palette to begin with, though. I could do this for ages. :P (So many... pretty... colors...!)

Comparing colors.

("death" animation is still unfinished ahaha)

(yeah nobody's going to even see the difference yay)

Those are my first attempts at new wall sconces, by the way. The concept art for them: (link) I don't like them but I'm still pondering how to make them look... right. Heh.

I love your style and colors! I remember this from way back, glad you started working on it again.

I don't think the black looks ugly either, at least not when you break up the outlines a bit.
But I'd have to agree on the perspective, some of the sprites show too much neck and shoulders, which should be obstructed by the head, when viewing from above.

Thank you~ The sprites are viewed from the side, not from above! I know it's not quite the standard but I hope it looks okay. We had a big discussion about it earlier and people said it looked all right in context so I'm hoping that's still the case. (I'll keep an eye on it, though, especially on the objects and stuff, to make sure they look okay with it.)

I think perspective is fine except for little things like the little round table is too close too the wall, the base should have more space because of the size of the table top.
At the moment it must be hovering with no shadow to be in that place.

And the picture frame could use some thickness perhaps 2 pixels for the plane on the very top, and maybe 1 pixel inside (thin top plane of the bottom bit), and perhaps some tweaking, so it doesn't look like cardboard.

You're right about the table! I'll fix that. You're right about the picture frame, too. I tried to fix it up in the mockup above. Is it better?