AuthorTopic: GR#129 - Labyrinth - RPG Projection Sprites and Tiles  (Read 37565 times)

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Re: [WIP] "Labyrinth" Sprites and Tiles

Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 08:42:16 am
Just for the sake of good time management I agree.  Go with the lower amount of frames.  It's impressive that you have the mindset that less is more.  Good for game development.  You'll be sure to meet whatever deadline you have with that attitude :D

Also.  I love this.  I wish I had more to say but just looking at that screen makes me want to play in that world.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 02:59:31 pm
Ah, sorry, I meant to say the bottom of the pillars.  They seem more in perspective than the top.  Here, like this:

You're right about 4 frame being better for time management.  I admit, I just wanted to see that hair bounce around.  Actually, she seemed the sort of character to bounce a lot when she ran.  Are her arms going to move, or will she be holding stuff in game?

My netbook can handle photoshop 5.5 which is more of a resource hog than GIMP is.  I wouldn't be worried about it.  If you still want something tiny, I'd go with Microsoft Gif Animator.

I forgot to say so last time, but those enemies are seriously cool.

Offline adamisgr8

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 05:18:22 pm
I really love how this is going! However there is one small thing that bothers me a bit.

I guess shading would also be a good solution to this small problem, but maybe you could put something to emphasise the corner?
Otherwise I really like what you've done so far!
+1

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:08:17 pm
Sweet mockup, definite GBC vibes which is no bad thing ;D.

Re; perspective I think the background is fine but the characters don't adhere to the same rules; not that you couldn't get away with this, many games do but I've edited to conform better for comparison's sake below. How are you planning on doing North-facing doorways?

I actually quite like the UI in context, it puts me in mind of some fondly remembered first-person RPGs. I would however, demarcate the inner border with a black outline to separate it from in-game elements and consider affording it a separate palette.

Regardless of frames, some arm movement would be nice on the girl, and her hair appears to grow and shrink currently because only the outline changes. Some ideas for additions; how about some leafy William Morris wallpaper, wooden architraves, oil paintings and some sconce lighting. If you wanted to continue the swirly Art Nouveau feel of the UI into the tiles there's more ref. than you could ever need here.

GraphicsGale is a superior & lightweight program for animation.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:22:12 pm by Facet »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 03:29:44 am
Animation nitpick: the hair would probably look better if it cycled once for every two steps (or full cycle), I don't think long hair could move at the higher frequency of once per step.
Or at least make it look different for each step, as if it moved sideways.

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 04:21:55 am
New mockup:

Fixed corners, added wall tops on front view, changed some of the shadows, fixed the bottom of the door, changed the UI a bit. I just noticed some tiling errors, but I'm closing it out for tonight so I'll have to edit it the next time I work on it.

Also started on a portrait:

I'm not sure about the style -- it's not really what I had in mind, not to mention that she's sparkling like a vampire in the sun -- but I was having too much fun to abandon it halfway! :D Made a blink animation and a talking one, as well, but I haven't animated it yet.

I'll work more on the animation as well! I've been procrastinating a little bit on that and working on some little bits and bobs with the tiles. I think I'm going to overhaul the pillars and fix the tables next. (And I just realized that the handles on the doors are too tall for a character this size to reach them! Hah. That's what I get for making the tiles first.)

Mike:
Oh don't worry! I might be frugal with my frames but I'll battle my procrastination for sure. Haha.

Sharm:
I am hoping to make her a bit 'bouncier'! Yes, the arms will move but I'm procrastinating on them a bit because I'm not sure exactly how I want them to look. I was thinking I might give her a girly run.

Thanks for the advice about GIMP -- I'll take that into consideration. I tried Microsoft GIF Animator but it needs the frames to be in GIF format (which is the whole problem -- the free version of GraphicsGale won't save GIFs.) :(

Facet:
I was really hoping I could get away with it, actually. It's easier to see things properly with a semi-top-down perspective, but I really like the look of the characters with a side-on view. I really like your edit, though. I might see if I can get my sprites closer to that angle. Heh! With some tweaks, maybe I can nudge the sprites and the tiles both close enough to each other that they look all right together!

Oh man, I had plans to do some work on the UI, but you have given me some great ideas for tiles. Thanks for the ideas and the links!

Again, thanks to everyone for the compliments~

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 04:33:23 am
The portrait is going to be dynamic right?  For example if she is getting scared it will be reflected in the portrait.  Or if she is getting hurt, or happy,etc etc etc...

:D

Offline StarRaven

• Threadkiller
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 08:53:53 am
New mockup wheeee....

Pillars have been removed for renovation.

I'm working on this animation but I'm not sure I'm making any headway.

Left to right: Original, delayed hair bounce, no hair bounce (just for comparison), four-frame hair bounce.

I guess I'm going to have to go six frames after all.

Mike:
Yes! I'm hoping to do a couple different portraits for each character; at least normal, scared, and injured. Since I think I'm going to have to do 6-frame animations, I'll just move the eyes and mouth for each character. (So many expressions are possible with just a few eye/mouth variations, though, so I think it might be the better option anyway.)

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 09:25:27 am
Original makes the most sense with the amount of frames you have.  It also reads as hair bounce from a run.  It's energetic looking. 

Oh and is she going to be holding a box or something?  Or are the arms not finished yet?

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 03:46:40 pm
The mock up looks dramatically better, it suddenly looks more like a house.  I love the sconces and that painting.  You'll want to have that gold edge on the other walls on the bottom of your screen.  Great, now I want to play it and there's no way you'll be done with the art soon.