AuthorTopic: Super Ghouls N' Goats (wip) Updated contrast  (Read 6191 times)

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Super Ghouls N' Goats (wip) Updated contrast

on: May 31, 2006, 09:02:29 pm
My portoflio's really old and I haven't really pixeled in forever, so I've been trying to create a new one from scratch that reflects my current ability.  Unfortunately school and work (nonpixel work, hoping to get back into the loop once I finish a newer portfolio) are making it difficult, so my plans of actually finishing this before posting it went the same way as my plans to shower this morning.  This was inspired after a really hot weekend alone with ZSNES and a couple Capcom platformer roms.  I've been poking at it off and on for months and figured some C+C would motivate me to finish it.

EDIT: New colors, this is how it looked on my monitor originally.  Looks like my gamma was messed up :p doh

23 colors total (Helm's gonna bend me over, watch), 9 for the foreground, the rest are in the moon

old washed out colors

Because I know people are going to say something, the moon was blobbed out in greyscale, imported to Photoshop, filtered with clouds, accented edges, burned, dodged, shrunk, gradient mapped, color reduced, brought back into Graphics Gale and then manually color tweaked once again to match the current palette better.  I left the moon on its own palette because in the actual game-that-will-never-be the moon changes colors based on certain game states and this makes a palette cycle a lot easier.  What I'm saying is, spare me the "the moon isn't pixel art!!!" lecture ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 10:40:16 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Super Ghouls N' Goats (wip)

Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 10:02:38 pm
Not enough contrast on the darker shades. The dark blue from the ocean should come back in the foreground instead of that dusty gray-brown you use as darkest shade right now...

Oh, and the moon is not pixel art! Just kidding of course

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: May 31, 2006, 10:16:18 pm
I think 22 colors for this is very servicable, in can be lowered, but it's not scene or anything, it's tiles. Can't unify disparate tile palettes all the time. I really like this. What I suggest is pure black and pure white, especially to signify which platforms are game platforms and which are just art.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 31, 2006, 11:03:47 pm
wow, ownage.

would be nice to see a little bit more variation in the colors, but the rendering quality is excellent.  I think helm's edit is a great idea and should be taken under strong consideration.  no real crits from me except about the colors.  maybe take the moons colors and put them onto the tiles, and have them change palette along with the moon to give it a unified lighting effect?

just done quick in paint, not actual color suggestions but to give an idea of wht i mean
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 31, 2006, 11:46:00 pm
I think 22 colors for this is very servicable
I think your face is very servicable for my goatlove.  To service.

I posted that before class, unfortunately I'm at school for a few more hours (and on a mac, so Gale is out) but yeah, I can see on these screens just how wacky the contrast is.  The lightness on the darkest two foreground shades makes EVERYTHING from the ground to the clouds look like crap to me because of how unified that palette is.  Anyone who's seen my pixels before knows that low contrast isn't really my thing :P

I'll fix all that when I get home, thanks everyone so far!

« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:47:40 pm by goat »
typing ewith fdace

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 06:13:31 pm
You're a pixel freak !
I looooove this ^^

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 10:14:01 pm
helm, the signature for all your edits should be a yus bird sprite :P

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Re: Super Ghouls N' Goats (wip) Updated contrast

Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 01:08:27 am
The moon is breathtaking.

One thing bothers me- How do those pillars stay up? Two in a row are broken, with one having no support whatsoever from the only remaining one next to it, since there is no connecting arch. Surely it would collpase, since pillars are integral to the physics of an arch?
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 02:20:54 am
I broke those two pillars so that I could get replies that contain questions on arbitrary tile placement instead of actual critique of the art itself.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 10:42:14 am