AuthorTopic: GR#093 - EGA Adventure Platformer  (Read 20473 times)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: EGA Adventure Platformer Mockup

Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 07:10:26 am
I'd try making it look like different cloud layers.

The perfect solution, cheers! Saves me having to do separate cloud tiles too. ;D

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 03:58:38 am
This is getting seriously nice =)

I have a problem with the doors opening in the background (both gray and black): they look like volume objects, not openings.
I think you have to make them blend into the bg somehow. Showing brick joints nearby might do the trick, although it's probably a question of light, too.

And, those snakes: sweet memories! ;)

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:29:55 pm
I have a problem with the doors opening in the background (both gray and black): they look like volume objects, not openings.
I think you have to make them blend into the bg somehow. Showing brick joints nearby might do the trick, although it's probably a question of light, too.
Do you mean when closed? If so I can increase the shadow cast by the lintel. At the moment the door is a sprite so that it can be sat on top of any background so if I can avoid including any background specific elements in it I'd prefer to.

And, those snakes: sweet memories! ;)
Actually, I was trying to clone the snakes from Monster Land by memory, but I remembered them different than they are.

Added fishies and a birdie and misc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 02:33:03 pm by surt »

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 04:28:25 pm
Do you mean when closed?
Yes. The only one that's open doesn't bother me at all, not because it's open but because it's obviously set in a wall, there is no volume or contrast or shading inconsistency. Same for the closed one next to it in the cellars.

At the moment the door is a sprite
Does that mean that it can pop up at any place in the gameplay? Mmmh, problem.
Then it should maybe blend in as much as possible into the bg it's on, this means a different version for every bg though. Also it would probably not be visible enough.

Offline lucas_irineu

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
Goddamn, surt. This is just amazing. I love everything about it. You should find a way to make this into a short game after you're done.

Best mockup I've seen in a very, very long time. I have no real criticism to add, I just felt like dropping in and letting you know how much you rock. You rock, a lot. I'll be leaving now.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #25 on: February 12, 2012, 11:59:51 am
Manupix: I tried increasing the depth of the shadow cast on the door by the frame. Does it help?

I'm getting sick of this so I'll finish up soon. Any last suggestions?

Misc tweaks.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 12, 2012, 07:50:53 pm
Ton of great stuff here, really appealing and a really smart use of a tough palette :D

In the armoured angel level, some background objects are almost indistinguishable from foreground at the moment, similarly with the underwater tiles against the water; they could really do with some outlines or something if not a palette change. The white rocky one you have on the side is awesome; I'd try definitely and get that combination in somewhere. The desaturated pink for the lava looks a bit strange, I guess you've already tried the red but I'm thinking a bit strawberry milkshake at the moment. Minor things; possibly personal taste but having the tree trunk overlapping the foliage looks strange to me and the cylinders in the crystalline level look a bit too prominent for a bg entity with that cyan.

I did attempt a few little miscellaneousness edits previously, including the ground tiles but dang that's an uncooperative palette to wrangle :P.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 07:54:15 pm by Facet »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 04:56:34 am
Facet: Cheers. Think I addressed most of your crits. Trees and water level outlines look much better. Not so sure about the heaven level though. Background cylinders (supposed to be crystals) I don't see I have any option with the cyan, I want more than just grey in there and dithering the grey and cyan together results in ugly.

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 01:51:25 pm
Seems like you posted this on Pixeljoint already! going to call it done? anyway fucking adore the progress this has went thro i'd definitely feature this if i could hehe got no crits  :y:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 02:43:05 pm
good job on those little fiery creatures !