AuthorTopic: Enhancing Tileset  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Hazzy

• View Profile

Enhancing Tileset

on: January 24, 2012, 05:34:07 pm
Well here's my current tileset, it's ugly. (24x24)

And it produces something disastrous as this: (Some things like the door have separate images as to why they're not in the tileset)

- Battle Preview

Anyway I'm stumped. The colours are really doing my head in and I've been constantly trying new methods to make it more appealing, but it just isn't working for me.
Sadly there is about 20 minutes game play using that one tileset. -.-
It's supposed to be some kind of underground experimental facility and while I have yet to add some other things in mind. I'm still struggling to select a certain style.
Preferably something like lttp with the clean minimalistic style.

I have started on a new tileset with this in mind but I still wouldn't mind getting some outside help :)
Also bearing the character size in mind, would 32x32 be better than 24x24? Or just bigger walls outside the 1 tile structure thing I have going on above? Thanks!

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Re: Enhancing Tileset

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:38:06 am
You have a number of issues here.
The worst is probably the huuuuuge lack of contrast.
Here's a considerably boosted, dirty edit (just adjusted levels in PS: some bright things were lost):

BUT since this is supposed to be underground, the solution could be totally different: a dark atmosphere broken by short-range lamps or torches. Even so, it needs more contrast.

You have 119 colors: this is clearly indicative of a problem, either in the way you manage your palette, or maybe the accidental use of a soft brush, semi transp or some other dirty tool.

There are perspective (sprites) and shading (bridge shadow) inconsistencies.

Good texture on the wall; also on the floor except the repetition is too obvious. 2 or 3 different floor tiles might help.

At this stage I'd recommend to make a few non-tiled pieces or mockups, so that you get a better idea of what your project needs, discover potential glitches and think of fixes, before committing too much time to making tiles if you're not sure of how they will work.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Enhancing Tileset

Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 05:14:52 am

Warmer walls, colder floor. That's one way you can improve the readability and break the severe monotony of the current tileset. Of course, feel free to have preference for other tints. Greens do wonders in sewers-typed area, for instance. Always remind to keep the saturation low.