AuthorTopic: GR#086 - Tree - Shading, Clusters  (Read 10787 times)

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

GR#086 - Tree - Shading, Clusters

on: January 16, 2012, 12:52:38 am
I'm new to pixel art and i've given it a try for three weeks or so. I've attempted a tree. I think i've reached a point where some critique and suggestions would help a lot, and I would appreciate them.

the first one was inspired by http://www.vbgore.com/images/hosted/mith4.png.

in my opinion, i seem to be having trouble with the leaves but that's not to say the trunk is any better.
i'm also not sure for the colors, so i've tried multiple sets.

thanks in advance for any help.

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: [C+C][wip] first attempt at a tree

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 05:56:32 pm
it's very grainy.

in other words, you have lots of single pixels floating around that are more annoying than helpful. i get that you're going for texture, but focus on form first. take advantage of clusters rather than throwing single pixels everywhere. it looks like these were shaded with the spray can tool from MS Paint  :lol:

also your color ramps are very straight. don't be afraid to hue shift them some, bro.

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 06:44:27 pm
i see what you mean. i will try grouping the pixels and will post an update once i do so. but i'm not sure what you mean by shifting the hue? do you mean use colors other than browns and greens?

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 08:13:26 pm
i see what you mean. i will try grouping the pixels and will post an update once i do so. but i'm not sure what you mean by shifting the hue? do you mean use colors other than browns and greens?

Yes, that's exactly what he means. Read up on the basics of it in this classic tutorial.

For example, some kind of yellow is often used in conjunction with the green in different plants.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:20:58 pm
ok. thank you for the link. i will be sure to read it and update my image as soon as i can. But for now, i have tried to make it less grainy. but i am unsure if i am going in the right direction.
thank you.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:46:52 pm
I see what the problem is here.  First, fix the problems in form, right now the tree looks like it ate something.  Get some good references and have a good idea of what angle you're looking at the tree at.  That will make a big difference in where the roots should be and how much depth you'll need from the branches.  The no single pixels is the best one to work from, since the form is the most obvious there.  Then you need to get really used to zooming in.  If you try to do the whole thing zoomed out you'll never get the details to look right, it will always look messy.  Once you have the basic shape and shading the way you want then you can deal with the texture.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 12:06:04 am
for single pixels the same rule as for dithering applies applies: only use it with colors which have low contrast. Also you could try a bit less noisy structure. Generally try to use more colors for that size and that style, about 8 should be good.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 03:18:08 am
the " first attempt at a tree" is a very common thread on these boards, and many greats have given advice and made examples

This step by step process by St0ven is a great example that shows how he is shading the leaves, but it also deals with treating objects as 3-d forms- by using shapes of color to " sculpt" the tree as opposed to " draw" the tree. That might not make sense at first sense pixel art is a 2-dimensional medium but if you study the images I think you will begin to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10520.0

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 08:15:58 am
ok, well, i tried your suggestions. first, i got a new color platelet with more colors, but i'm not sure if it's as good as the first one which i had borrowed from somewhere. the more colors i think helped because it looks less bloby while also looking less pixely/grainy. hopefully it's better.

Offline mahhov

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 08:32:48 am
I continued looking at some helpful guides and working on my tree. Am i on the right track or am i going about it in the wrong way? and thank you everyone for your suggestions. if the colors still need adjusting, please let me know.