AuthorTopic: Dynamically Animated character  (Read 9882 times)

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Dynamically Animated character

on: January 12, 2012, 05:26:51 pm
Well im currently working on a game, and instead of animating the pixelled character through conventional means, i use a hybrid of segmented pieces with individual states, and choose appropriate frames based on the momentum changes in the characters movement by simulating small pendulums for masses like arms etc.

seeing as this isn't pixel work in the conventional sense, i guess its appropriate to upload progress here, and crits would be nice too.

heres a screen cap of some motion.

Idle:

Arm:

Jumping:

Running:

Grappling:

as you can see, the hair, grapple arm, forward arm, etc, tend to be missing in most animations, the game chooses how to combine stuff so it looks like your appropriately shifting your weight when you move around!

C&C appreciated!

Originally posted by Jeff

I AM A GIANT DONUT MANATEE

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Dynamically Animated character

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 06:03:46 pm
Looks pretty neat. I got some crits on a few minor things tho.

I think the boob bounce is a bit silly, esp since the armour looks pretty rigid.
Also, tho this a personal thing, I find her proportions very unattractive, what with the short almost stumpy legs.
If I wanted to change that but keep the overall size I would take away some from the torso and give it to the legs.
She looks kinda like a too long chibi atm.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:31:11 pm
i might shave away some of the torso perhaps, keeping the legs the same length, in general i find the characters a bit too tall so my hit box is ending up as something like 18x88 pixels. i'd rather have it to have at least SOME semblance of a square.

on the other hand, i kinda see the problem really pronounced on the idle animation, which i think if i modify (which i will) and leave the rest in tact will end up fixing the problem.

boob bounce on the running is more of the whole plate moving up and down, since its more a ninja bra type of thing (which, again the idle animation doesn't really demonstrate) so i guess i REALLY need to change the idle.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 05:55:53 am
I think the boob bounce is a bit silly, esp since the armour looks pretty rigid.
I think the boobs should bounce a little bit (they're boobs, after-all), but it's a bit much as it is now. Time for some sub-pixel boob animation?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 06:43:19 am
I think the boobs should bounce a little bit (they're boobs, after-all), but it's a bit much as it is now. Time for some sub-pixel boob animation?
You have to remember that in low resolutions there's hardly a thing as "a little" because one pixel turns into a large value of length in proportion to the subject. The slightest bounce you could get is a pixel, but a pixel with this scale represents 2-3 inches. There are tricks you can do such as subpixel animation but they're tricky to pull off, so it's a matter of asking if it's actually worth it.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:38:51 pm
^...Did you only read the first sentence of my post? Or was your whole point that sub-pixeling is too much trouble for what it's worth? If it's the former, than I have nothing to say, I guess. If it's the latter, then like you said, it's up to the artist whether or not they want to put the extra work in, heheh.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 09:28:23 pm
Her body is stiff and only arms an legs are animated, yes? (hard to see, because of the grey legs and the black background)
If your code supports it, what about letting her crouch on landing and let her stretch on jumping.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:32:37 am by Lazycow »
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 08:54:06 am
In the example animation, the character abruptly turns back a couple of times; this transition should benefit from one or more transition frames (showing either her front or her back; you already have the "idle" frames as a front reference). She could start walking while she's still turning, with no lag in actual movement.

Offline QuaziGNRLnose

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:02:33 pm
yes there will be transition frames for the head in all animations, and full body turning for ground changes, and i still need/land jumping. i just haven't had time lately for graphics as i work on the level editor and with school
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:04:16 pm by QuaziGNRLnose »