AuthorTopic: Palette Workshop Challenge  (Read 256634 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Palette Workshop Challenge

Reply #360 on: December 04, 2011, 03:14:40 pm
Thanks Chris, appreciate the edit  

They're all a bit stiff, I wasn't really confident with the medium at the time and I think these are all mouse & 1-px brush :-[, but I learned a lot making them.

I added more mid-tone to mr.bottom left and removed the sloppy suit shading, I also tried some changes to his partner in the top row but I really like the Adam Hughes-y vibe I had and I think your edit flattens the face a bit.

Test-drove a few things on ms. bottom right but kept the large skin highlights; I was aiming for greasy skin, harsh lighting. I'm not sure how I'd go about improving the sense of form with them. Anatomy aid dead centre ;). In all seriousness, him & Blondie were intended as cartoon dishevelment.

Any pixel technique missteps? they're about as tightly rendered as I could manage.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:56:57 pm by Facet »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #361 on: December 04, 2011, 06:51:25 pm
Your main issue is overshading, which has as consequence a lack of readability on some of your portraits. I think you should try being a bit more subtle in the shading. I had a quick look at Hughes' work and I gave it another shot:

I also tried convey sweaty skin on the cartoon girl. Cartoon doesn't mean inconsistencies, though! ;)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #362 on: December 04, 2011, 08:02:53 pm
Top centre looks great; a lot like that catwoman mugshot, but I wasn't consciously trying to emulate that look. I can't see either of the semi-realistic edits as an improvement per say but a different approach, things like colouring the whites of the eyes and completely removing rendering of the nasal bone doesn't look right to my eye. lovely greasy speculars on Blondie, I'll try toning my highlights down a bit.   

Cartoon doesn't mean inconsistencies, though!

In what way inconsistent? between the girl and him?

I think I might make a bunch of individual palettes for these and possibly accessorise a little; some of them look a little bare. Maybe I should jump threads with this.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #363 on: December 07, 2011, 08:18:43 pm
Inconsistent in the way that your moustache man and his skull don't seem to match, in terms of the way both are shaded/highlighted: everything concerning the cheekbones and jaw bothers me in the skull's portrait. It doesn't help if I read the mouth as a lower lip, either. :/
Edit:

I hope it helps! :)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #364 on: December 07, 2011, 10:11:32 pm
Sorry, meant to get back to you on this sooner, I don't want to come across as being ungrateful for your input because I really am.

I'm not sure that I understood what you meant by overshading.  I would usually take this to mean excessive bridging between shades like in a bad airbrush job ;D, obviously the softest edge possible here is four decent contrast steps and I haven't attempted dither or similar but you might say that the values on the top girl and partner are too evenly spaced so as to look a bit like a 'posterise' filter.The lighting is definitely highly mannered but attractive I think.

What was bothering you about the anatomy of pear-man before I posted the skull? I'm afraid the skull was a bad joke, I didn't attempt to keep the lighting or stylistic choices consistent because I thought the idea of his having realistic anatomy was amusing :P. Your edit is priceless though, I wish I gone down that route ;D. Bottom lip  intended.  

I thought I really ought to do a couple of new portraits in the same restrictions (not Mafia though, apologies to the  thread) from scratch since I'm receiving criticism and there's a element of me being a little blind to stuff I've become overly familiar with. I was surprised how much my approach has changed since I did the others. Incremental edits to a couple of the older portraits also.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:57:22 pm by Facet »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #365 on: December 08, 2011, 05:40:11 pm
May I suggest you start your own thread? That way this leaves more breathing space for others who want to post here in future.