AuthorTopic: Impetus 2068 [WIP]  (Read 4192 times)

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Impetus 2068 [WIP]

on: January 07, 2012, 07:31:42 pm
Hey all, It's been a while since I've put mouse to pixel, but this is my forth coming effort.
It's a little concept art for a game, heavily inspired by Winged Doom's STEALER and RENEGADE stuff.
With out further ado, let me show you what I've got thus far.

Character walk cycles:
V1

V2

Concept art:

Characters and Weapons:

Any thoughts or suggestions about what I have so far are more than welcome!

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: Impetus 2068 [WIP]

Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 06:22:36 pm
don't be afraid to move your character's body when he walks. the legs look nice—that animation is really smooth and i think you've done a good job for the style that you're working in. the next step is to move the whole body—give him some bounce, let his arms and gun rattle a little bit. play with it and have some fun. you've gotten the boring part of the walk cycle finished imo—give him some personality now :)

as for your mockup it's hard to tell exactly how it would play: imo there could be a lot more contrast between the parts that are playable and the background—i actually like the background itself- it totally fits the style that you have, but it's very hard to distinguish where the player can and cannot walk. the blue makes your hallway obvious enough—but it's weird that it's just floating there in front of the city background. is he outside? inside? it seems a little strange.

good luck man i want to see where this goes.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:10:20 am
Considering the infrastructure of the foreground building, the walls would have to be thicker, otherwise the character might fall through the floor. That would also help separate it from the background.

In the foreground: reduced saturation, added more contrast. Added more detail/grunge.

I agree with Wes in the walk cycle, don't be afraid to make him move, and personality is much needed! Some of the other characters could use it as well, reflected even in their idle stances (more size/stance variation?)

Also, the monsters' designs don't seem very readable.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:42:30 am by pistachio »

Offline The 7th Sin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2012, 03:47:04 pm
Thanks so much for the suggestions Wes and Pistachio. ;D

After your comments I realized that my scene was a little too unclear about the tunnel's location.
The tunnel was supposed to be extending out of a building in the foreground, hopefully my update fixes this issue with perception.

I also updated the walk cycle with more bounce.

And I did a little refining of characters (the ones offset above), as well as cleaning up the green monster a little bit.
Additionally, added a vehicle design.

Thanks again for the help guys, and as always, suggestions and insights are more than welcome. ;D

Offline toaster

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 05:49:14 pm
I really like this style and this one looks good to me. It gives me an awesome I-am-in-a-huge-empty-city feeling. I don't like the hard black of your character. It makes it look like the charater is standing in front of the environment, instead of in it.
It's a funny choice to make the gun pink. I think it definately fits in the style, but it doesn't look to deadly. What about red?

Maybe it is also woth trying to swap the yellow and purple colours, so the corridor is bright and the background dark.

Toaster

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:44:20 pm
It's a little concept art for a game, heavily inspired by Winged Doom's STEALER and RENEGADE stuff.

wow :3