AuthorTopic: GR#098 - iPhone Sideview Platformer + Animations  (Read 37389 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: iPhone Platformer + Animations

Reply #50 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:34 pm
Really digging the "boldness" of the new tile colors, although I'd avoid fading to pure black considering the bright background. You could get away with using a dark muted purple for example and still have plenty of contrast.

I like the new direction for the player character conceptually, but he's got readability issues at the moment. Perhaps too much detail for such a small sprite? Also, the colors don't "pop" nearly as much as they ought to IMO.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #51 on: March 19, 2012, 04:10:45 am
Thanks tehwexxl0rz. I definitely agree with the colors not popping enough on the character.

New characters from 3/18/12:

(Yes the game is going to be played with a 200% zoom)

From left to right: Adrien, Haig, Female Hero, Male Hero, Darya.

Adrien is a shadow soldier who was exiled from his ranks. The triangle acts as a scarlet letter (For those of you who have read the book).
Haig is a soldier found in a destroyed town. The town was destroyed by the Empire forces and the fighters of the town were taken prisoner. He hid during this, leaving him with guilt for not being captured.

Darya is a character who joins the party in the seaside village in the game.

In the game the party members are playable, however you can only travel in twos. The game includes several wars where all of the party members are in use, however the player cannot switch between them.

I also added an enemy knight:

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 19, 2012, 08:15:56 pm
Been watching this for a while and it really looks great idd!
The changes you did to the colours and saturations on the last update for the tiles looks great, but I would really want to see more contrast on the characters as you said, they look a bit dull atm.

About the enemy soldier. I think the light could be a bit more like the helmet over all of his armor, instead of just one line of light.

Looking forward to more of this and I will deffinatly play it when it's able for download!

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #53 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:43 am
Coffee: Added more character contrast :) I agree with you about the enemy soldier, however I'm not sure he will fit in with the other characters if I shade him differently. I'll do some more work on him later tonight.

There seems to be something wrong with the tree leaves. I just can't figure it out.

Offline moket

• View Profile
    • human hacks

Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 09:26:56 pm
I'm in love with your color palette and the overall graphic design.
Regarding the tree, you could define the silhouette a bit more.
Also some branches don't appear to be logically connected with the trunk thus leading to slightly random leaves chunks. The little vines for example could stem from specific parts. All those little details would contribute to make the tree believable.
The leaves could have different scales depending on their spatial position in order to reflect the roundness of the foliage.
The tree is sitting at the forest "entry" (sorry for the lack of better word) , so the light should affect the side, since nothing is projecting shadows on it. Even you could add some reflected light from the grass inside the tree shadows.
Can't wait to see the game unfold :)

Made a quick edit.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #55 on: March 22, 2012, 07:05:58 pm
To be honest with you slym, I really really preferred the more pastel palette you had going on before.  It gave you far far more control over priority of the screen and was much easier on the eyes.

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 22, 2012, 07:34:02 pm
To be honest with you slym, I really really preferred the more pastel palette you had going on before.  It gave you far far more control over priority of the screen and was much easier on the eyes.

Seconded. the only thing that troubled me though would be the color of the blue-green (maybe a cyan green I think is the proper name of it?) color on his upper torso used to line out something.
It really pops out. Maybe a darker color or shading, possibly removal would be a plus.
Other than that, the sprite seems pretty well done as far as I can tell.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: March 22, 2012, 10:49:43 pm
Thirded. The pastel colors were very unique, and since everything is very detailed, as Indigo said, it helped a lot with priority. All the blacks and dark blues everywhere in the newer one feel a bit cluttered.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: March 24, 2012, 12:48:53 am
NOT FOURTHED!
Instead, I agree with wex and coffee. The new palette looks bold and refreshing! =)
I liked the old palette too, but it looked kind of sickly, like the whole world was covered in poisonous pink fog. It was vaguely uncomfortable looking! XP

New one looks fantastic, I think. And I freaking love how your new rocks fade into those simple polygonal shapes, while still suggesting a rocky texture. Very stylish!
Your new hero is a big improvement too. Looks like he's actually set to adventure now, instead of just wandering around in his tshirt.

Honestly, you're one of my favorite artists to watch on here, simply because you're improving so fast (also, because your art's great). The little archer you have as your avatar isn't even in the same class as the stuff you're pushing out now, imo. And it's been what, not even half a year since then? Good on you for working consistently, hahah. =D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 12:53:37 am by jams0988 »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #59 on: March 24, 2012, 05:03:34 pm

I tried to compromise. Is this better?
(I still haven't touched the tree)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:05:47 pm by slym »