AuthorTopic: GR#098 - iPhone Sideview Platformer + Animations  (Read 37194 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: GBA Platformer Mockup

Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 08:16:37 am
I really love how this all fits together. You picked great colours, and I'm impressed how you managed to capture grass and trees with such simple clusters and appropriate contrasts. Just one thing: your houses would pop better if they had a distinct (warmer ?) colour compared to the village's outer wall, which is further away.

btw, don't hestitate to populate this large, homegeneous dark region below the grass. A few rock formations or plants will reinforce the feeling that we poorly see the details due to lightning conditions rather than because there's nothing to see. You did it marvelously with the walls. I'm sure it can work the same with rocks.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:07:44 pm by PypeBros »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: GBA Platformer + Animations

Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 05:08:24 am

I really like what youve made its got a lot of charm to it, but i wanted to hop in to say that i think your saturation is really top heavy in your current mockup, and perhaps toning down some of those sky sat values can help balance out your screen presentation some.

If you truly wanted to make a game from this, your biggest hurdle right off the bat would be to get your user to have their eyes actually focus on the character, vs the sky. backgrounds need to be pretty, but secondary, and by throwing in an entire atmosphere of full on saturation is not helping the cause. your sprites excellent character is being totally drowned out (the one standing on the rooftop).

i say tone down your sky values, tone down the saturation in the secondary layer between the sky and fore layers (not quite as much as the sky layer) and definitely tone down some of your oranges on the roof/panelling on the houses, and i think youll find that your very nice wall and platform tiles will stand out more.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:05 am

How is this?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:37:06 am by slym »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 05:38:05 am

How is this?
O.o is your monitor calibrated right? The roof of your house is nearing pinkish-white.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 05:39:17 am
You can Calibrate your monitor? How do you do that?

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 06:04:24 am
O.o is your monitor calibrated right? The roof of your house is nearing pinkish-white.

i actually think this is much better. not only is the saturation balance better but the lighter sky gives a much better 'daylight' vibe vs the darker values previously. also the roof saturation looks quite nice to me, much more subtle. whats most important is that theyre his colors.

id say theres some residual oversaturation in the shadows being cast on the doors (these should be less saturated compared to your highlights), and also watch your contrast here as well. these shadows shouldnt rival the dark values in your platform 'darks' imo.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:19 pm

Some slight color tweaking. No critiques on the animations?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:55 pm
The red was much more effective imo. Also i miss the saturation on EVERYTHING.

As for animations:

1) On the run the far arm's elbow doesnt seem on the same level as front arm and therefore makes the arms look assymetrical in length
2) On the jump I think you should also have a second half to it with falling.
3) Idle, the jumping on the gloves is too sudden, the blinking is also too sudden, try to stretch it out over a few frames (use AA to subpixel the movement of the lids). With it as sudden as the hair rate of movement it looks like its part of that motion, always try to have seperate timelines for seperate elements if they're close by to separate them visibly.
4) On death, when the char falls to their knees, the head bobs too softly. Have it turn more towards the ground (cross section: from \ to - but only slightly). Also have the arms buckle on that first frame.

Just add punch to everything and it'll look a lot more satisfying. Achieve that punch by exaggerating the final frame of a motion and then pulling it back to expected on the next frame. Follow through!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:35 pm
Well, they're hard to crit - they're good.

DEATH
The death anim looks a little odd once he's crouched. His body just kinda absorbs into the ground. His left arm juts forward awkardly, but kinda comically - maybe have it extend towards us or backwards instead. And what if his bouncy hair tuft flattened out instead of remaining standing, kinda further signifying he's down - even his hair is dead heh.

IDLE
What if he's not in a windy outdoor environment?

Only minor nits, from me.

Man . . . if only Promotion didn't fight me so such, I'd start some RPG-ish tiles, too . . .  (shuddup, ptoing)