AuthorTopic: GR#098 - iPhone Sideview Platformer + Animations  (Read 37200 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: GBA Platformer Mockup

Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 03:58:29 am
Ok, nice stuff. As always. Way to go on starting a project you've been anticipating for a while. Reminds me I need to try my hand at an RPG tileset . . . this year!

Here's a few things:

Protagonist is bland. I'm not compelled to want to control him. Looks like an NPC you'd meet in the game. Give the boy some flair. Something that implies a story. Think of interesting game protagonists you like.

More foreground/background separation is needed. Contrast.

There's nothing interactive so far, which makes it feel empty/unfinished.

Enemies Ideers: Mutant forest animals (is there a plague spreading!? How'd that oversized groundhog grow wings and horns!?), Giant insects, Robots . . .

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:21:06 am
This is looking really good so far.  Very blue, which makes me think this is supposed to be a night scene, not sure if that's where you wanted to go with it.  Sadly, I say you stop pixeling and work on a game concept first.  A good concept will change everything including who the main character is, what enemies you'd be fighting, what kind of HUD you'll need and whether or not there would even be a forest.  You seem to be going for generic right now which is nice and flexible but will only give you a generic game.  For ideas you could make a list of your favorite platformers, what you like about them and then ask yourself what game you would like to see made by people like that.  Based on what you have my first idea is to have a child who's lost in fairytale style woods and has to find his way back home.  The kid would come across things like trickster fairies, big bad wolves, gingerbread house witches, bridge trolls and such.  He could collect bread crumbs instead of money or coins.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:32:58 am

Tried to address some of the color issues! It's definitely not supposed to be a night scene! I also tried to add more sprites into it, I do need to figure out where this is going though. I'll try to address the main character issues and enemies in my next edit.

[edit]

I forgot to include this, but this was an alternative palette. I'm pretty sure I'm deciding against it just because it's so similar to this. Oh and sorry for the blank grey space!

I'm thinking of sticking with the previous version that looked like a night scene. Maybe a night scene could help me figure out what is going on with the enemies.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 05:59:45 am by slym »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:21:39 pm

Worked on the character a bit... and other stuff. I'm trying to get her to turn to the side to start a running animation. Struggling with it though.

[Edit] YESSSSSS. I Finally fixed Photoshops stupid gamma setting thing! Now all of my colors will be the REAL colors that I picked.

[Edit]

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff440/t_redmer/screen_5.gif
http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff440/t_redmer/screen_5-1.png

Thinking of basing it off of the idea that the characters are excluded from the rest of the world. Maybe it's in the future and the world became to industrious, so the government locked everyone in towns that are closed off from the exterior world by walls? I don't know... Anyway I'm having troubles with the texture for the wall itself. Suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 08:18:10 pm by slym »

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 09:04:14 pm
I really like this, but at the same time it all seems very monochrome, even with the green shade of the foreground. I can understand where you're coming from in theory, but the background just seems so boring being such a uniform shade of blue.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 10:16:15 pm

Is this any better?

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 10:43:10 pm
Much better.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 11:13:27 pm
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 01:25:15 am by slym »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 06:39:08 am
Well, it's already finished, so I won't say anything. Actually, I wouldn't have anything to say, anyway. This is some gorgeous work. Thanks for inspiring me and giving me some new ideas on how to draw stone walls and such. I really like the atmospheric shading you have going on with the trees and the clouds in the background.
Also, even though your finished piece is amazing, I really *really* loved your blue and orange tinted forests, too. Someone said the blue one looked like a night scene, but I disagree. It looked more like a magical forest than a dark one. And the Fall one has a very chilly atmosphere, like Winter is about to blow in...also very nice.

So, yeah, awesome work. Now I'm really looking forward to my next day off so I can bury myself in pixels, heheh!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 06:44:09 am by jams0988 »