AuthorTopic: a PSP clone made for indies?  (Read 9064 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: a PSP clone made for indies?

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 08:52:32 pm
Yup. It's more like a handheld designed to be game-programmed for. It's nice, but the thing about it is, developers want to make games for the masses and therefore want to develop for the real PSP or DS or GBA. Hehe.
I would still pick the PC over secondclass handhelds. Mobile phones on the other hand are interesting but doh.. not easy.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 11:11:42 pm
when mobile phones have a controls system that isnt clumbsey, ill look into the games begin made for them.  a for the knock-off PSP, One question i have after reading the lists is, can it play PSP games or not?  Can it run GBA games? Can it run anything made in the last 6 years?  If not, then what is the point? 
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 02:10:30 am
well, I just thought it was something worth noting, someone might feel like trying out the thing.

it is linux based.

http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?showforum=41 official forum

http://info.alllinuxcd.com/ a deeper look into it

http://forums.metacritic.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/657108/m/4330005504 where I found out about it
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 02:12:35 am by Conceit »

Offline Frychiko

• Don't waste garbage here.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 08:01:20 am
when mobile phones have a controls system that isnt clumbsey, ill look into the games begin made for them.  a for the knock-off PSP, One question i have after reading the lists is, can it play PSP games or not?  Can it run GBA games? Can it run anything made in the last 6 years?  If not, then what is the point? 

Check the review out at maxconsole for information regarding that.
http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=7486

Looks sweet, things that disappoint me are the low brightness screen and the joystick control, and maybe the cheapness/casing of the device. Screen doesn't look that nice in the screenshots.

Congratulation this story is happy end. Thank you. - Ghost & Goblins

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 08:38:21 am
One question i have after reading the lists is, can it play PSP games or not?  Can it run GBA games? Can it run anything made in the last 6 years?  If not, then what is the point? 

I think it's not meant to be a clone of PSP, it was just the title of this topic. It is basically another handheld but only made for 'hacking'.
As a developer I would rather buy a cheap GBA and a GBA flashcartridge than to develop for that system. But as a gamer, that thing does run a lot of emulators including MAME so games like.. yeah uh,.. many (old 2D) games run on it.
And what do you mean by 6 years? I don't think the PSP and DS will last more than 3 years from now.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2006, 08:40:02 am by Lick »
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 09:33:14 am
probably much like the psp, the best thing for it is playing snes games  ;)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 12:13:23 pm
Im excited about the PSX emulators, maybe when those get to  point where they work properly ill look into it more.  Id love to have FFT, Vandal Hearts, and Megaman Legends in the palm of my hands

Too bad theres nothing about a GBA emulator (yet?), that would be great.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 12:57:56 pm
i think I recall playing tekken advance on a psp ages ago.. was really slow and I think there was no sound though
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 01:26:24 pm
I've got one of these on order - can't wait to get cracking on my iso-strategy game for it. :)
--

DrDerekDoctors