AuthorTopic: [WIP] Wasteland Tileset (32x)  (Read 6689 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

[WIP] Wasteland Tileset (32x)

on: December 27, 2011, 01:42:36 pm
I have recently started to delve into pixel art, making odd bits and bob as I go along, but today (27/12/2011) I decided to try and make a tileset. I have no knowledge of how to set it out, or how many tiles I am meant to have, so   any tips for that would be great.

This tileset is for a game, that takes place 1000years (subject to change) after a chemical gas was released, that killed all life on Earth (apart from bacteria). Plants have just started to grow back and intelligent life has started to build settlements.

As for the art itself, it only uses 13 colours over all the tiles so far and its some of my first 32x work. My main worries are readability and the water tile so I would LOVE tons of C&C on that.

Tileset so far:

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Wasteland Tileset (32x)

Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 02:38:45 pm
Good stuff so far, I had a look at your previous posts and this is a marked improvement ;D

I have no knowledge of how to set it out, or how many tiles I am meant to have, so any tips for that would be great.
The best tip I can give is plan ahead thoroughly; the amount of tiles should be dependent on what is requisite for your game. As for layout, this too will depend on the tiling system that you choose to go with. Form follows function. Take a look at a variety of tiling systems on The Spriters Resource et al. 

The dirt looks great but does seem to borrow liberally from Vierbit's tile tut.

Water tile looks a bit like strands of something at the moment, I'm not sure whether I'm looking at a surface (wave) texture or an underwater one. Colour shifting/modifying your dirt tile could look nice for the shallows with a fade out into deeper water.

Intelligent life in 1000 years I think would require divine intervention :P   

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:44:56 pm
Thanks for the feedback and the reply!

The dirt was modelled on the tutorial, as I felt it fit the theme almost exactly as I wanted! As for the water, I am not sure whether you mean I should change the colour of the dirt, to make it look underwater, or whether you just mean the edged of the dirt near the water getting darker? Water is my weak point, as I have never textured it before, so I do thank you for your honest crits!

And I guess 1000years is a bit short! I'll look into that scientifically!

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:16:20 pm
Something like this?:

ignore the water tile and focus solely at the bank tile.

I also tried to make a quick cactus mockup, but I have no idea how to make it stand out from the ground tiles, or how to make the shadow at the bottom!

The cactus will be one of the very rare "normal" plants, the rest will be mutated.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 04:04:28 pm by imnumberfour »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:44:05 pm
Yeah, I meant a distinct plane change in much the way that you've gone about it here, but a gradual shift could look good too! looking really nice :y:

I think you could liven your colours up a tad, I like the aquamarine but perhaps shifting to a nice navy blue in the darkest parts of the water and possibly introducing some purple to the ground tiles could look good.

Cactus breaks perspective. When working in top-down think about the 'footprint' of your object, how it connects to the ground and then extrude upward. I made a little thing here that touches on this.

Looking forward to more tiles :) With the post-apocalyptic theme you've got going on here I'd expect to see more in the way of the ruins and hubris of civilisation. Regarding the timescale, you needn't set an absolute date it can be more interesting to let the player speculate in response to environmental clues.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:24:29 pm
I tried a quick colour change of the dirt tile, what do you think?

I still have no idea how to do the cactus, could someone post a edit to help me?  :'(

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 04:54:02 pm
A little too much purple for me ;), although it really depends on the rest the environment. The colours were nice before, I meant just a touch of hue shifting in the shadows for a bit more life and perhaps to distinguish your tiles a little more from their inspiration.

Someone could post a nice edit of your cactus but I think you'd benefit more from trying to understand the perspective so that you can complete the rest of your tiles in similar fashion.

I'm assuming you're aiming at standard RPG parallel projection and not 'Mexican on a bicycle' style :P. Start with geometric primitives; cube, cylinder etc. and map your art onto these.

Your cactus is essentially a cylinder so try starting there.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 01:52:14 am
Hey again, Pixelation!

There are a few problems, some of which have been discussed. First the cactus:

Added much needed contrast and shading, fixed perspective issues, and desaturated a bit. Note: when drawing foreground objects, it helps to place them on the background tiles they're going to be viewed on.

Now the tiles: The perspective of the ground tiles looks skewed for an RPG perspective. They look like they could be used in a platformer, actually, along with the cactus. Found them a bit distracting for ground tiles, so I got rid of some colors there to lessen the value range.

As for the shore transition tiles, some variation would help. Some rocks above the water, or some ripples? Here: (ignore the tiling factor, this is just to demonstrate.)

http://imageshack.us/f/202/tileedit.png/ ([img] tags not working there, and Imgur seems broken.)

(alt. version here, color-shifted, and fits well with the post-apocalyptic theme IMO.)

Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:02:56 pm by pistachio »

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 06:39:52 am
i really like the direction that this is going, man.

especially the water. normally that kind of super-low water where you can see the dirt tile underneath it is a turn off, but in your postapocalyptic wasteland i actually think that it's the right move. imo your transition version is great, but you should lose the few floating rocks that aren't connected to the land part. i get what you're doing there and i like it a lot (it will be great if you can keep them but use those tiles sparingly as a few variations)—but when tiled i don't think it will look very good.

also regarding the colors, i REALLY liked that version with the purple. i am a hardcore hueshifter though and that kind of stuff always appeals to me. also the contrast is more pleasant—it has a better sense of depth than the more recent ones that you posted. i'd say GO FOR IT—just if you do, be sure to do the same hueshifting effect on other tiles.

like that cactus for example. the perspective is much better—even though it looks kinda like a bean (it might help you to draw the cactus directly onto the dirt tile, especially if it's one of your first object tiles for the set—that helps me with my rpg perspective on tiles for stuff like that). but i don't like the colors on it—hue shift that motherfucker like you did with the purple above it and it will look really swell.

also when it comes to the shape of the cactus don't be afraid to exaggerate a little bit—i for example would go to town with the spikes :)

as for the second version of the water—why not use both? they look like they'd both be plausible for different variations in depth.

good luck dude. this is a good thread keep it going
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:42:09 am by Wes »

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 05:47:41 pm
Thanks for all the help and support guys, i'd was really looking forward to improving on this project and learning more skills but sadly, to my suprise, my coder for the project lost motivation and decided to leave the project. This left me without need to try and complete this tiles, therefore making me lose motivation as well. Until I find another proper coder, I think I will spend my free time studying perspective and variation, the two big problems I found whilst working on the tileset. You guys are such great help, it made me happy that people are so interested in my (very bad) work. I'd like to learn more from people like you (who are experienced at pixel art) so i'd be glad to recieve a PM every now or then, I could even give my skype or email to people I feel can teach me a lot.