AuthorTopic: animated chibi critique pls~ +my own base  (Read 2807 times)

Offline nekoCiel

• View Profile

animated chibi critique pls~ +my own base

on: December 28, 2011, 02:57:47 am

at first  i was happy on how it turned out ,now it seems like somethings are wrong and i cant figure out what  :(

base by nekoCiel
the base i used~ sorry if it looks bad its a bit old i just cleaned the outlines a bit  :blind:

edit:added the base
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 04:11:04 pm by nekoCiel »

Offline Ninjus

• View Profile

Re: animated chibi critique pls~

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:44:07 am
Color wise, your sprites do not have any hue shifting and many of the shades are too similar and blend in together.
You need to differentiate each shade so a clear difference in darkness and brightness is shown.
When it comes to hue shifting and color selection  I would recommend reading this as it helped me a lot.
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=pixel+art+tutorial#/d320ykn

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 01:37:54 pm
Ninjus gives good advice, for instance the yellow hair might be better defined with more orange in the shadow. As for the tutorial he posted, take most everything by that person with a grain of salt, and always disregard their last step entirely. They have a way of inserting something outlandishly stylistic into their tutorials that is definitely not helpful in any way to anyone trying to learn the concepts they teach. It's a shame those tuts are so popular.

You should also pay more careful attention to the outlines, the style you're aiming for works well with crisp 1 pixel wide outlines. So anywhere they start to blob together to form jaggies you could trim down.

It looks like these are edits on top of a base, mind posting them?

Offline nekoCiel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 02:46:43 pm
Color wise, your sprites do not have any hue shifting and many of the shades are too similar and blend in together.
You need to differentiate each shade so a clear difference in darkness and brightness is shown.
When it comes to hue shifting and color selection  I would recommend reading this as it helped me a lot.
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=pixel+art+tutorial#/d320ykn

Thanks im ganna edit them first thing tomorrow, but i might not use the tutorial though just ganna make my own pallete~

Ninjus gives good advice, for instance the yellow hair might be better defined with more orange in the shadow. As for the tutorial he posted, take most everything by that person with a grain of salt, and always disregard their last step entirely. They have a way of inserting something outlandishly stylistic into their tutorials that is definitely not helpful in any way to anyone trying to learn the concepts they teach. It's a shame those tuts are so popular.

You should also pay more careful attention to the outlines, the style you're aiming for works well with crisp 1 pixel wide outlines. So anywhere they start to blob together to form jaggies you could trim down.

It looks like these are edits on top of a base, mind posting them?

il start trimming the outine as tomorrow thanks~

well i made the base so yeah im ganna post the base later today then~

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: animated chibi critique pls~ +my own base

Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 10:07:11 pm
You need to clean up those lines and make them smoother. They're very jaggy and uneven in some places.
http://rjanes.co.uk/tutorials/introduction_to_pixel_art.php

Start with making the outlines only 1 pixel thick.