AuthorTopic: yellow room platformer stuffs  (Read 4066 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

yellow room platformer stuffs

on: December 26, 2011, 01:07:21 am
okay so i'm working on an adventure platformer (gonna be made in construct most likely). the gameplay style is planned to be a slower cinematic-type (think original prince of persia rather than mario). i've been working on the graphics for some time! anybody in irc will probably have seen a lot of them but imo its time to actually make a thread for them.

here's a somewhat old concept mockup—it shows off the general feel that I'll be going for

some character concepts (a couple of them are pretty old you might have seen em before):

here are a few misc animations that are more or less done but feedback appreciated. atnas, cow, setz and the others from the irc channel have helped tremendously (bat is wip)

here's a few animations for the hero (walk, powerup, being-shot-out-of-a-cannon)

the one that I'm working on currently is her jumping animation. this is WIP, hoping for some suggestions:

lastly i have spent like all day fighting with a goddamn tornado animation and i'd really love some help with it. i've tackled this thing so many times and i can't stand any of it and i'm just burnt out. i'm putting it aside for now and planning on returning to it later, maybe starting over from scratch.  it's ugly and i hate it :0#

-> ->
-> -> -> /

that's it for now friends :O
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 05:58:33 am by Wes »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: yellow room platformer stuffs

Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 05:09:49 pm
I really like the look of this in general :y:

Some of the animations are great, especially the whirlwind ;D top right cartoony blobs has my vote, delicious! some more blobby dust kicked up on contact with the floor would complete it imo. Jump anim. flails about a bit, could maybe have more power if treated with a bit more squash, stretch & snap like some of your other stuff but this isn't my forte, sorry.

Per the mockup and general stylistic direction I'd like to see more foreground/background distinction; the pillars have similar visual priority as does the sprites. Some light greebled silhouette stuff might be nice but this could be a question of taste. Cannon is incongruously colorful, everything else is only afforded accent colours.   

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:43:10 am
hey thanks facet. after staying away for a while and coming back to this, i'm not as displeased with the tornadoes as i was before. my fave are the two on the top—i think i'll expand on the top middle one and do something like the debris but make the big blobs subtler... idk

an update on the jump anim:

i might be able to make her a little more stretchy and smooth the arms a bit, but i think i'm gonna add some more frames.

Cannon is incongruously colorful, everything else is only afforded accent colours.

you're probably right about this—the original idea was that different colored cannons would lead in different directions (cannons would be at the beginning and end of levels and launch the player to the adjoining area). i could recolor it easily enough we'll see how it looks in game.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 06:24:26 pm
Ha, my thought process when really putting some effort into something goes a little like;

like > love > huh > what > hate > reappraisal > maybe it's not so bad ;D

The jump has very little anticipation; she just seems to float up. I know there's a trade-off to be made between responsiveness and exaggeration but a little crouch/squash before the jump could make a big difference. I can't for the life of me find a decent example right now as I'm not on my PC but I'm sure someone else could help here.

If there's a good reason in terms of gameplay for the cannon colour then ignore me :P

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 10:28:33 am
The jump has very little anticipation;
To that regard, Prince of Persia had a strong "tiling" of position and animation: no matter how early in a run you press the jump button, the kid will only jump at the next step, iirc ... which makes plenty of room for "prepare to jump" animation.

The art is lovely and animation impressive, btw.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 01:01:21 am
These are really cool. I'm loving the palette and the animation. Don't have anything negative to say, really, except that like Facet, I'm not totally sure about the blue cannon color. It's not bad - it just doesn't seem to mesh as well as the rest of the sprites do.