AuthorTopic: Animated warning text  (Read 9622 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: Animated warning text [WIP]

Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 05:53:57 pm
will it animate faster in-game? i expect that something saying WARNING shouldn't be anywhere near that slow. i'd love to see this thing sped up to really give a feel of WARNING.

My thoughts as well..
You need another faster warning text that warns the players about not paying attention to the slowly appearing warning and instead look at the actual danger. ;)

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 07:02:08 pm
I've played some shmups were you could actually shoot the warning text, as though it were an enemy. When shot they would spin around, until you finally had them destroyed. Something like that would be applicable in this case too. Consider it!  ;)

Otherwise, as standard warning-text for a shmup, I agree that it's moving too slow.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Ürch

• I live in dreaming through the hours
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 07:57:46 pm
I think you should have the letters begin turning before the previous letter is done turning.

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 09:12:57 pm
I think you should have the letters begin turning before the previous letter is done turning.
You shouldn't make it one letter at a time. Start it like a cascade, it will look way more dynamic.

He already suggested that a while ago-

Might re-calibrate the timing so each letter starts spinning in earlier in relation to the previous.

But I still agree.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 10:40:29 pm

Dither lines are back by popular demand! Also, faster with less lag between letters. And there's a (very rudimentary) 'shine' effect.

Next things:
-refine the shine (maybe replace completely. It's simplistic but it seems to look OK...)
-fade out: I don't want to draw the letters rolling in the other direction.
-fade in: something.
To do: ??? Cow made my lovely avatar.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 01:37:29 am
Yeah definitely go for a fade out because personally I think adding anything more to the animation would be rediculous. I'd make the shine come a bit earlier, maybe two or three frames. It just feels a bit delayed. The animation still seems a bit too slow to me. Though it is smooth, I'd imagine a warning sign to be a bit more... flashy? If that's the right word choice :P Anyway, awesome progress. I love where this is going!

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 01:43:59 am
Start the flash shine earlier, like said above. Make the shiny shape that moves across the letters diagonally slanted. Make the letters rotation animation start fast and exponentially slow down so the G is slowest at the very end.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 02:17:08 am
@slym: I hear you on the need for more flashiness.

@Mathias: slanted shine shape sounds good. (Above, all I did was flood-fill each letter white, then yellow, then orange, one by one.)

I'll have it flash earlier and continuously, like a siren light, yeah. I was wary of having the flash begin earlier because I didn't want it to disturb a still-spinning letter. As it stands, the G gets to exist for two frames before being lit up. I plan on having a thinner band of light do the thing, and have 2-3 visible at a time. I'll leave the still-spinning letters untouched at first...

For the fade out I'll have it fade to white and dissolve into triangles.

Offline Basketcase

• View Profile

Re: Animated warning text

Reply #18 on: December 22, 2011, 11:34:47 am
Quote from: me

Yeah I'm done with this.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Animated warning text

Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 01:56:06 pm
Argh, my eyes!   :yell:

In different words: Thats way too much effect, its just annoying. I couldn't concentrate seeing that.