AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241145 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah

Reply #540 on: May 23, 2008, 06:35:02 pm
especially coming from you, that spear animation is REALLY boring.  You have posted multiple spear/pike critiques and analyses before, you should definitely take your own advice on this one!!  The hammer has a nice sense of weight, but the musket looks awkward and too closely held.

EDIT - oh my goodness it's actually in THIS thread too!

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1343.msg46585;topicseen#msg46585
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:52:37 pm by AdamAtomic »

Offline Ben2theEdge

• I'ma drink mah coffee!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart Gallery

Reply #541 on: May 23, 2008, 06:46:22 pm
I agree about the spear. Also there isn't really a sense of momentum with the hammer since it stops and starts almost instantly.

And this part isn't really a critique, but I made it anyway. Because I had to.

OH NOES!!!  :crazy:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:48:07 pm by Ben2theEdge »
I mild from suffer dislexia.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #542 on: May 23, 2008, 08:16:38 pm
EDIT - oh my goodness it's actually in THIS thread too!

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1343.msg46585;topicseen#msg46585

Ok, so more lively spear anim....but that's for a single-handed spear?  Any suggestions for the two-handers shown here, where they can't change which foot is advanced?  Or even, they really can't advance?

I've realized that fencing sabers require a lunging motion, so I may do this too with the big spears, but it's still tricky....hmmm...

more weight to the hammer...this can probably be done...perhaps even without adding torso frames, if i put some extra movement into his recovery (not pictured)...?

I'll see what i can do about the musket, will probably jsut move it out from the body a pixel or two.

thanks!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #543 on: May 23, 2008, 10:26:46 pm
Any suggestions for the two-handers shown here, where they can't change which foot is advanced?  Or even, they really can't advance?
Just a little more punch, you know? Pull the spear back farther, pause for a moment, then lunge forward, arms fully extended, leaning way forward, you know? Might not be as historically accurate or realistically performed as you're trying for, but you gotta have some flare for oomph you know?

Offline Willows

• View Profile

Reply #544 on: May 23, 2008, 11:34:52 pm
Use your shoulders and shift that weight!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #545 on: May 23, 2008, 11:48:23 pm
Use your shoulders and shift that weight!

right, but it's not that simple.  These frames are not unique to any animation, they are shared by several (otherwise every character will need hundreds of frames).  I'm going to try something along those lines, but there's not quite that sort of freedom.

For instance, just of the four you see here, the lance and the gun use the same frames in different order, and two of those frames are also used in the hammer.  swords and light spears/axes will use several frames from the hammer, only more widely spaced to allow for more "snappiness".  you get the idea.

I will probably try something like that with the timing though (none of that has really been worked out yet).
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 11:55:57 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #546 on: May 23, 2008, 11:56:35 pm
This might help it might not, but something like it could give the animation more "force".

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #547 on: May 24, 2008, 01:36:48 am
This might help it might not, but something like it could give the animation more "force".

actually, that gives me an idea.....if I use the frames from "blocking" (which is a lot like what you've shown) i can have the character rock back before attacking without adding more body frames......thanks!
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Talos

• View Profile

Reply #548 on: May 24, 2008, 04:54:19 am
You're welcome. I love it how a simple edit can make connections to help solve things. In fact lots of things seem to do that.

Offline TrevoriuS

• Pixels... everywhere!!
    • View Profile

Reply #549 on: May 24, 2008, 08:20:19 am
In all your edits the wrong leg moves. If you're gonna stab forewards, move the front leg more to the front, and increase your range. THrough your body in it to create force. One last thing though, a lance is more likely used to swing with.