AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241139 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
then we might as well say that being Japanese is a birth defect.

You mean to say it is not?

Adarias, this piece of art

suffers from priority problems due to the colors you use. The saturated browns under the house punch through their priority and seem to be swimming outside and on top of everything else in the non-eucledian fervor of the ancients.

The house tiles themselves sem muddy and use blue shadows without any clear benefit to my eyes. Some of the greens behave, others bleed through, but the biggest problem is the tile shapes and colors of the vertical rubble under the house as stated before. You are making the art for this game alright, but it's not exactly behaving right now. I think you need to simplify and make tough artistic choices that you might have not otherwise considered, like, simpler palette choices, simpler tiles, forgetting about machine shadows and generally reigning this beast in. As it is now, it's really a bit of a mess and from a tactical viewpoint really disorienting I think.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:58:51 pm by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
just to clarify, you mean the rocks, the bricks, or both? (both are slated for redrawing but it's the way I do them again obviously that counts the most).

Some of the greens behave, others bleed through
house tile greens (calls for palette simplification) or plant greens (calls for something i don't know how to fix)?

It's become more and more clear to me as this has progressed that I've assembled everything as individual tiles or groups of tiles, without a clear understanding of what i wanted things to look like as a WHOLE, so the entire thing is getting a facelift some time soon.  The deck is already well on it's way and of course the two new grasses show where that is headed; I agree about the shadows on the house just not being good at this point and im wondering if the wood isn't terribly busy too; the roof palette makes me more concerned now than it ever did with that chocolate sticking out.....and was the tan on those bricks always lighter than the tops?

anyway, yes, there are a lot of problems with this that I'll be trying to work through and i might need to ask for a little more hand-holding than usual because of this shift in thinking.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
It's okay, growing pains.

I mean the rocks. And the plant greens.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel
I applaud you for doing natural hair colors rather than other nonsense.  Also the way you pixeled the hair colors is very snazzy, it's not just a palette swap between them, you have hue shifting and subtle contrasts in color which really makes it look great.  So yeah, good job.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

just working on simplifying, i can't really get into colors on this monitor.  the hues are true finally but the saturation is just not happening.

as before, ignore shadows, strays, floating objects....etc.  it's just a swatch.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
the mirrored rocks just break the 3d illusion, it pushes through the planes. I suggest you make either the left or the right side darker, the whole tile, so it doesn't just wraploop like that. The actual rocks are quite better now.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
because the shadows are no properly drawn yet and I'm still not certain our engine is finalized (although i think it's getting there), i don't like to show with the shadows yet because otherwise nobody will talk about anything but the problems with them ^^

still, with the dozens of placeholders..:

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday
The purpz under the stairs are real saturated.
And the mirrored tiles still look wacky at the corners, even with the shadows.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
The purpz under the stairs are real saturated.
And the mirrored tiles still look wacky at the corners, even with the shadows.

lol, enough about the purples!  read any page of the thread!   :D

and yeah, that wasn't meant to be a fix, only to show where the shadows were in their development.  Many (many) things are on my to do list and I can't possibly get to all of them in each little update :P

At this point I'm not actually going to take them out for a little while because the staircase is really just the wooden deck plus the house frame, and those both need to be redrawn and then the stairs themselves made to match.  Redrawing them just to redraw them again just means i push back something else a little.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 04:37:14 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

more the issue I want you to adress.