AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243377 times)

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile
The circled part seems to be not so correct. Looks pretty much f***ed  :-\

Other than that, awesome tiles and sprites, and the lighting system is just godly.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
The circled part seems to be not so correct. Looks pretty much f***ed  :-\

Other than that, awesome tiles and sprites, and the lighting system is just godly.

yeah, there are a few special cases like that then will need unique pieces that I haven't made yet.  the same goes for the bits that stick out on the corners (though that was a small engine issue that has been rectified)

only one change so far - the introduction of a WIP tile to replace "tufty" (the grass types are spiky, patchy, softy, tufty, and stalky).  doesn't mean im avoiding the other problems that's just what I tried first because i had an idea for it.

so what's the verdict on the newbie?  if people like it the other grasses will get the same makeover.  Also i think i will play up the different grass colors from blue to yellow short to tall so that it's not as "foggy" (though i still want pretty organic transitions which is the one thing the oldies did pretty well imo).  That is though before I saw the second image, which I almost like (though i was NOT expecting to) with the blue.......
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:58:43 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel
I like the new tile, but I think you should leave the other grass tiles the way they are, it looks fine.  Also I don't like the second set of cooler colors as much.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I like the new tile, but I think you should leave the other grass tiles the way they are, it looks fine.

hmm, I think im going to start running into consistency issues if i don't do *anything*.  the pixel handling is very different between old and new such that at least stalky needs a facelift...........

I think the green works far better too for a happy, lush island, but there are places where i'm thinking the blue could be used.  maybe the way this map is put together is not that place....but maybe out north where it's colder and less fertile, "the big island" has a few mountains.......there's a particular place called Heavens Pass where the road cuts above the cloud line and your surrounded by mist that the blue grass might really look good in....i'll ask fil because now im just rambling....
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile
I think these new ones are much more readable, and I do actually like both colour schemes (for various moods maybe). As you said the issue is mostly consistency, the buildings and rocks have such prominant darks with the colouring and maybe don't add up in comparison, Im loving you're work though adarias I'd say you're improving as an artist, try keep everything at the same level.
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles
I like the new plants to, I think the other ones should be updated into this style aswell ^^
(But the 2nd palette wont work at all for Island of Perch which this map is supposed to be)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I like the new plants to, I think the other ones should be updated into this style aswell ^^
(But the 2nd palette wont work at all for Island of Perch which this map is supposed to be)

awesome, so we are on the same leaf :P

I'm having a bit of trouble with the taller grass (it looks kinda tacky if the color is different, it looks kinda confusing if the color ISN'T....) but i'll figure it out (probably just a little lightening/yellowing will do good by it...)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile
Although all you are posting are test swatches so far, something i dislike about the piece relates to this:

The one on the left is going to be made up of more tiles. Whats more, you would have to place grass tiles as a second layer underneath. The one on the right uses less tiles and doesn't need grass underneath. I think the one on the left looks better, because an old wall would not be perfectly straight, even though it would need more tiles.

In your game, you could use more tiles to make a better product in my opinion. For example, right now the deck doesn't make sense, some wood goes one way, some the other. It would be better if you had all the wood go one way, and make 8 edge tiles. The house could use tiles for windows, chimneys, doors etc. I guess these are just tests so far, and also you said the fact that it is noticeably tiled is the norm for tactics games (which ive never played), but i wanted let you know anyway.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 02:58:21 am by sharprm »
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
just a quick update because it's still only plants i've looked at

not really sure about these new ones in terms of color.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Zenobia

• View Profile
    • Zententia.net
Haha I was going to reply the colours of the new ones are -perfect-. And then I read your comment below it.
I think you made a really great colour choice though.

I don't much like the green/orange-pink combination a lot of games use, to me it always looks like it takes using a minimum amount of colours too far and just ends up with a nauseating blend of foliage that never quite decided what colour it wanted to be. The colours you chose however seem more natural and light to me, much nicer. You can see the difference I mean in the left corner next to the house. I much prefer the whole-green plants over the slightly orange-pink tinted ones, and then especially in this colour. Making them lighter than before somehow adds to the game a little? More enchanting? Might just be how it's projected on to me though.