AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241237 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now with 20% more girlies

Reply #400 on: October 03, 2007, 01:37:59 am
of course it's a shortcut.  if this was meant to be a series of art pieces, yeah, we'd hand pixel it all.  it's not though, it's for a game.  sometimes you need to cut corners to save time and space for other sheets.

im wondering if i should just put in my sig that no character will actually have an unnatural hair color.  it seems like no matter how many times it gets said, everyone asks..........
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline sharprm

• INTP/INTJ
    • View Profile

Reply #401 on: October 03, 2007, 03:28:59 am
I was wondering if in the game girls will have a distinct pose compared to boys. If all the girls had a pose with say their right arm resting on their hip, then it would be a good cue to instantly recognise the gender. Or maybe all the boys have their arms crossed. Alot of them I can tell that they are girls, but for some its hard.

The guy 5 down and 5 across, his hat's cross doesn't look like it wraps all the way round. 5 down and 9 across, maybe you should remove the cross on his armour so that it looks less like breasts.

In general some are really good, like the fourth row first eight ones. But for third row, 7 + 8, for example, their clothes seem like an original head with the rest slapped on from other classes. While that is okay since you would save time animating, or maybe they are related to other classes, i think the most successful ones have a unique full uniform. eg. the romans and vikings down on the bottom row. What i mean is, if this class were assassins, because he looks a bit like a ninja, maybe a more asian clothes would be better. And have the girl wear a full face mask, but make her show skin on her arms, legs to differentiate.
Modern artists are told that they must create something totally original-or risk being called "derivative".They've been indoctrinated with the concept that bad=good.The effect is always the same: Meaningless primitivism
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Philosophy/phi

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #402 on: October 03, 2007, 03:41:05 am
yeah, i've been wondering about the ninja/assassin class for a while now, i think i'll try that..........and a few other things perhaps

I also think im going to revisit the mid-level healer classes and the defender classes, im just not enjoying them.  im happy with the second and fourth tier classes, but the third tier ones just seem like a lame "huh, we're in between" class.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #403 on: October 03, 2007, 04:08:23 am
of course it's a shortcut.  if this was meant to be a series of art pieces, yeah, we'd hand pixel it all.  it's not though, it's for a game.  sometimes you need to cut corners to save time and space for other sheets.

im wondering if i should just put in my sig that no character will actually have an unnatural hair color.  it seems like no matter how many times it gets said, everyone asks..........
ehehe, i see ^^ well, sorry if what i said annoyed you or anything...i cant say i read all 8 pages or remembered the comments on the hair color, ^^;; maybe the sig footnote would be good for us lazy people if you dont feel like repeating yourself too many times xD
goodluck with your game ^^

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #404 on: October 04, 2007, 07:47:41 pm
I was wondering if in the game girls will have a distinct pose compared to boys. If all the girls had a pose with say their right arm resting on their hip, then it would be a good cue to instantly recognise the gender. Or maybe all the boys have their arms crossed. Alot of them I can tell that they are girls, but for some its hard.

To me there doesn't seem to be a good reason to really differentiate the women from men so much. I mean.. it's not some kind of dating game. You could tell through there character portraits or names anyway, right?  :y:

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #405 on: October 05, 2007, 04:57:19 am
yeah this is just a very basic "idle" stance, because it's tactics they will all be fully animated and right now im trying to work the costumes out so thinking about characteristic stances at this point would defeat the purpose of that (gives a false sense of differentiation in the design)...

im actually totally rethinking the whole costume and class names for ninjas (not necessarily assassins), because i think the Asian influence is out-of-place in the context of the game.  The "viking" style characters too are throwing me off, because the image they give off works with the name (mercenary, sword master, bounty hunter), but not at all with the skills (fencing and trick moves).  I think I want to redesign those characters to better fit the skills and the setting of the game (which was really up in the air when the jobs were designed).  Ideally they would reflect slightly different goals

one the condottiere style, the refined yet unbound swordsman and mercenary, fourth sons or fallen-house noblemen, or even just commoners with the balls to act fancy:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bd/Artemisia_Gentileschi_Condottiero_Bologna.jpg
Emphasis on fencing technique and flamboyancy to impress, confuse, or enrage

one in the late landsknecht style, a man reveling in his common birth and making a life for himself as a warrior:
http://www.arms-armor.cz/catalog/files_gallery/ga056.jpg
emphasis on trick play and the use of the off-hand

im also working on the designs for the character classes as well:

As mentioned, regardless of the class you choose for Roarc he will have a constant costume, going from peasant to play-noble to captain to general/total badass.

There are also a few groups of characters who will share similar costumes:

Peers of the Realm: the nobility of Potager, they typically wear long coats over fashionable clothes and very light armor, fighting most often with the rapiers.  they will fight like a "fifth-tier" fencer (the game only has 4 tiers to the job classes).  Soledad and Jimenez, primary enemies, will appear to the public as peers of the realm.

The Lord Knights: protectors of the peace and nobility, they lead bodies of the royal guard and fight typically with sword or polearm, acting like a fifth-tier knight.  Dress will be traditional heavy armor while maintaining a sense of class and rank.
http://www.arms-armor.cz/catalog/files_gallery/ga051.jpg not exactly how they will look, but gives a similar impression.

The Masked Men: dressed something like the peers of the realm but on crack, with overly flamboyant garments.  They are identified by the fact that they all hold masks to their faces and fight mostly with magic but occasionally with swords.  Think like a masquerade ball but soaked in evil :P.

The Guild: minor characters most often found at the docks or on board ships, Guildsmen are wealthy merchants who run the economy of the region.  They are responsible for making sure goods get delivered, or that they don't.  There will be a number of side missions which give you the opportunity to impress (or threaten) the Guild which will see bonuses in your investment and trading returns.  The guild also includes their own henchmen, the Marines, who act as something between police and pirates and will dress similarly to British http://www.cmhg.gc.ca/cmh/book_images/high/v1_c6_s10_ss00_01.jpg but a lot more drab, with smaller caps.

Eventually there will be art to go along with all this talk.....:P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #406 on: October 06, 2007, 03:54:47 pm
bumpdate: WIP masked man (one of several, this one represents Malach)

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline bluknight

• View Profile

Reply #407 on: October 06, 2007, 04:10:09 pm
bumpdate: WIP masked man (one of several, this one represents Malach)

You say masked man, but this struck me as a female character.
Were you not being literal when you said masked man?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #408 on: October 06, 2007, 04:25:37 pm
nah it's literal men, they are supposed to be effeminate/ambiguous though, that was the style:

illustration from The Rape of the Lock

the two central figues are men, the righthand figures are woman (as is the one cut off on the left, no pun intended).

you have reminded me though that so many of our characters are men, so it might be worth looking into making some of the masked men women......
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline FrostPumpkin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #409 on: October 06, 2007, 04:54:44 pm
What about an emo partisan ? xD
No seriously your work is awesome, the character design is great, YOU are great !