AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241196 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : RRRAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Reply #360 on: August 19, 2007, 03:26:27 pm
Hate to tell you this, but I based my mouth off the outline of yours. :P
The far side is the side that is furthest from our view. That is his right side, and thus i'm suggesting that you pull that side up to match the curve of his face, and not down.

As for the hair, do what you like, I was just pointing out a reason why you might want to use crazy colours.
It's harder to differentiate between blonde and brown than it is brown and green.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #361 on: August 19, 2007, 05:01:56 pm
Hate to tell you this, but I based my mouth off the outline of yours. :P

Yeah i realised that, but you changed the angle of the face too so that it ended up going from / to | without reangling the mouth to correspond ^^

I might pull it up slightly but the other nice thing about the straightish line is how clean it is.

Took a look on my sister's notebook and daaaang, that pink is a lot brighter on a different monitor!  On my regular screen i'd consider it an accent, but on hers it's koolade.  Ill tone it down.

If we have trouble identifying characters, we may end up including different colors; it's not like it hasn't been done before.  We'd prefer though to stick to naturals as long as we are able to.

The fact of the matter is that most of the things I have the knee-jerk "no!" reaction to, I come around to in the end, like the new character shading, dynamic shadows, unique outfits for the hero, new menu system based on rings....the list goes on :P

Oh also just for clarification, this portrait is not necessarily the hero, though I certainly will be taking these features for MY hero.  The player is allowed to pick their own eyes, nose, mouth (+some beards), hair (+color), and skin color.  Fil's money is on a lot of players taking the 3rd punkish hairdoo and a short beard.  Old eyes, noses, and Long beards aren't available for the hero, he's young:
Chapter 1 (a tiny fraction of the story - 17 turns 18 over the winter between chapters)
Chapter 2 (perhaps a third of the story - 18 turns 19 between chapters)
Chapter 3 (the lion's share of the story - 19 turns 20 during the chapter)
Chapter 4 (about as long as the first - game ends he is still 20)

Current radishes (faces designed for recoloring by skin and hair color) and unique characters.  Many of those to do still of course, but differentiating isn't so hard thusfar.  Beards, an additional layer to consider for males, are also not shown here.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline dragonrc

• View Profile

Reply #362 on: August 19, 2007, 06:02:13 pm
Wow, this is all looking amazing! :o
Great job.
The portrait is improving a lot. I made a little edit that might help you improve it:

Most of the changes are just little random changes.
I changed the ear and the left side of the face. I also edited the nose, the mouth and the eyes a little bit.
I hope it helps 

edit:
Couldn't help myself to stop meddeling with the portrait ::)
Here is my second edit:

Lost a lot of contrast, but I don't think it turned out that bad.
I managed to reduce the colorcount a bit.
Again some little edits everywhere. But mainly on the left side of the face and in the nose area.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 07:59:39 pm by dragonrc »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #363 on: August 19, 2007, 07:33:46 pm
huzba: your version is the worst so far imo, all the facial features have been pulled down and off-center.
Care to elaborate? Cause i'm seriously not seeing what's wrong. Maybe you've been looking at the guy for too long or i'm going blind. The smaller face does make the hair seem bigger in proportion or something, but big hair isn't exactly unheard of when talking about anime dudes. Also your realistic dude has somewhat well done individual facial features, but they together make for quite an unattractive character. I think so far Froli's edit one page back is the most handsome one.
Anyway, here's what i see in the edit i did. I usually see my own mistakes if someone points them out, but this time i'm perplexed. I'm worried if there's still some lingering bugs that i need to get out of my brain... you know, a bug with seeing things fine even if something's wrong.

Sorry if it's getting too OT

So back to the latest edits uuh i think it's going to a good direction. Maybe some more detail for the mouth since he has a detailed nose. Sharper expression too if he's going to be something other than a sissy boy about to get a beating.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #364 on: August 19, 2007, 08:08:26 pm
Actually huZba you've pushed everytihng way down and shrunken the head unnaturally under the hair; why would he have that big of a cushion on his head?  Your mouth too is far too low regardless, he has no jaw.  Remember your proportion laws (face is thirds with eyes at the first, nose and base of spine at the second.  divide the chin into thirds and the mouth is at the first.  eyes are halfway between the top of the head and the bottom of the chin)

I liked your features, but the placement just isn't right at all and the hair really is just odd.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #365 on: August 19, 2007, 09:15:20 pm

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #366 on: August 19, 2007, 09:17:34 pm
i think this is the best so far:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 09:19:44 pm by Feron »

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #367 on: August 19, 2007, 09:19:01 pm
I edited your version a little bit Huzba I hope it's alright. The problem with it was that it has a realistic neck so I shortened it <didn't refine it though> I also adjusted the hair and the jaw area :D

He looks young now but hey
Hair adjustment

Adarias...you really need to decide either realistic or Anime style. Just make 2 versions if you can
Helm,
man, that looks like a guy in an cosplay conversion because of the green hair :P

« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 06:00:16 pm by Froli »

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #368 on: August 20, 2007, 05:23:09 am
Great, i see where i went wrong now, thanks big time. He looks fit to be a hero  :y:. I'd gladly use that as my character in a game. So yeah, i agree, a clear cut style works better than aimlessly shooting in many directions.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #369 on: August 20, 2007, 09:53:47 am
huzba: your version is the worst so far imo, all the facial features have been pulled down and off-center.
Care to elaborate?

Adarias pretty much explained, but here we go for good measure. I'm afraid your errors are the byproduct of anime disease where all the huge hair and shit obstruct the shape of the head and therefore the artist slowly forgets how he has to draw it properly.

watch it for a few seconds. Watch it FOREVER