AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241133 times)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : RRRAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Reply #350 on: August 19, 2007, 02:19:25 am
I like the newest one a lot - if the face was broadened just a tad, I think it'd be a stronger piece.  i know you're going skinny stylewise, but a few more pixels of width between the eyes especially would give you a fine base i think!

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Costume party

Reply #351 on: August 19, 2007, 02:33:19 am

Having troubles; one of those things where you do a lot of work but don't really see it paying off :\

Maybe something cleaner like this?

Offline BlueCheer

• View Profile

Reply #352 on: August 19, 2007, 02:57:04 am
I think it looks good even if I'm not too much of a fan of Ragnarok (looks like it too me) but i think the doctor and master surgeon should have a bit lighter cloths like more white? but thats just me. Good work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #353 on: August 19, 2007, 03:20:18 am
Yeah, part of the trouble is that I already did take time away from it, working on tiles and characters....I have 5 days to put a TON of stuff together and can't put everytihng off until i feel like working :P

I know that fifty million Elvis fans can't all be wrong, but I just dont see the appeal of pulling the face down like that?  He looks mid-chew...
Trying to take something from all the edits and suggestions though :

Blue: Thanks, though there's a thing with the brightness where they will look plenty white when you play the game.  I've explained it a few places, basically if you make everything slightly darker, then gray looks white, allowing you to make special effects like fire "brighter than white".  If we get through later builds with full functions and think the characters need to reahc brighter colors, we'll give them a kick then.  So far the characters have worked fine against sand, grass, brown stone, and then all the stuff you see in that town mockup, but this is still only......1 mostly full tileset we've tested :P.
People mention RO alot, which strikes me as funny because when it comes down to it the similarities are few and far between.  I'm certainly not offended though :P.

Sab - it's a tactics RPG, we're estimating 2010 for release.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #354 on: August 19, 2007, 04:46:56 am
Nah, style clash of deth. Manga eyes, semi-realistic textured mouth. The nose looks disembodied, it's not attached to the face... Reapproach. Faceless's elvis edit at least is clean. Clean is good in this case. Maybe the dithering has to go, m..

I'd go realistic, personally, and dither and whatnot. Bot right now you're sitting in the middle of the bridge and there's lots of people that want to pass from both ways and you're inconviniencing them!

Extra: ear shape lacks earlobe (and earlobe curve) some ears are like that, but not all ears are like that.

Offline huZba

• MekaSkull
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19396.htm
    • huzba
    • View Profile

Reply #355 on: August 19, 2007, 09:59:44 am
Another simplified take on the guy.

I like the direction faceless is taking it, has some character.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #356 on: August 19, 2007, 10:55:23 am
aaaand here's a semirealistic one for the lineup.

edit: though my take makes the green har hilarious by stepping outside of the anime paradigm. The dude has eyebrows of natural color and RADIOACTIVE GREEN hair. It makes no sense!!

huzba: your version is the worst so far imo, all the facial features have been pulled down and off-center.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 10:59:19 am by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #357 on: August 19, 2007, 02:30:41 pm
Heh, yeah the green hair (a palette thing) does look funny the more you go towards realism.  Luckily nobody in the game will have anything but a natural hair color.

Around here I am one of the few people I know with detached lobes; something about a population made entirely of germans and italians means that very few of us have them (I'm a scot, and therefor the only good ethnicity :P)

So much to think about.......

Trying to go clean (faceless) but still have some nice blending, set the nose back (helm), simplified the mouth (huZba) and realigned the eyes towards the player (my own idea, thought it would make more interesting).
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #358 on: August 19, 2007, 03:01:52 pm
The mouth is too straight, I don't think the bright pink really works, and the chin area is very strangely rendered.
The darker skin tone shaped like a shark fin is really throwing thing off... looks like he has a roll of fat on the side of his face.

I don't think you should stick solely to real hair colours; crazy colours will help to set units apart from each other.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #359 on: August 19, 2007, 03:08:20 pm
It is rather straight, but I've been having trouble putting in one that isn't straight that still looks ok.  Personally I think that incredibly pulled-down mouth on yours is pretty rediculous.

We aren't doing crazy haircolors.  Nature provides enough shades.

I'd need to see what other people say about the chin, it reads fine to me.
A mistake is a mistake.