AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243356 times)

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Slight change of Pace

Reply #290 on: May 02, 2007, 03:41:29 pm
I'll be referring to the classes from this sheet, as it's a lot clearer and easier to indicate off:
http://xs113.xs.to/xs113/07132/Groups2.PNG
I'll refer to the groups as 1-8 starting at 12 o'clock, and going clockwise.

G1:
The bottom right pair is a perfect example of how it should be done. Immediately recogniseable as male/female and clearly the same class.
The other two designs are a perfect example of what you shouldn't do. The plumage, and shapes of the hats match between genders of different classes, but not with the same class. Basically, switch the girls' hats around. Otherwise, these two classes do a very good job of distinguishing between male/female.

G2:
Far left work fine.
Female on the far right is very easy to confuse with the bottom most class, and you really have to look at her male partner to spot the similarities in costume. Give her the same type of hat as the male, with a ponytail sticking out the back.
Top and Bottom of this group do a reasonable job of differentiating themselves from each other, but you could easily give the top set only the male headwear, and the bottom the female, or vice versa.
My final problem with this group, is that in the top two classes, the females of the pairs are much more heavy set.

G3:
This group is fine in terms of distinguishing the various classes, from one another, but there's very little to no disambiguation between gendre types.

G4:
One of your best groups. A cross somewhere on the female medic's design might not go amiss, but it's not necessary. :y:

G5:
Best group you have. The left most female's hat could be pixelled better, but all the classes, and genders are easily readable.

G6:
One of the most problematic groups. Apart from the right most couple, it's almost impossible to distinguish between sexes, save for from that tiny slither of hair.
The left most, and top most both have near identical costume designs, and to someone unfamiliar with the game, the left most pair could easily be mistaken for male versions of the top most pair. For clarification's sake, give one pair the peak helmet, and the other the flat guard.

G7:
Great group. My only suggestion is to make the bottom left female's cape match her partner's. If you're swapping palettes, she could easily be confused for the class directly above her.

G8:
Top and bottom are fine, left and right are not. A simple fix would be to design the right most female's headwear more like her male counterpart's.

General comments:
I've noticed the female's are more readable when their neck area is less cluttered. Consider experimenting with dropping the shoulders a pixel, on the female varients of the heavily armoured classes.
There's A LOT of purple throughout the entire cast, and that isn't helping in distinguishing between classes.

Hope I've helped.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #291 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:36 pm
wow, thanks! that was really in-depth ^^.  expect at least a few updates fairly soon, i will try to take as many of those things into account (and experiment with some other possible changes as well)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #292 on: May 02, 2007, 08:21:55 pm
id rather not make the genders particularly pronounced tbh, and im certainly not going to be showing off the girls sexuality >.<.  Ill see what i can do, though.
Honestly, I tried grouping that jumbled image into classes and I had a tough time.  I tried grouping by shoes, clothes and hats, but they seemed to overlap.  As a gameplayer, I'm looking at the heads to see what class they're in.  It's the part of the body that's most visible to me, and most pronounced at a glance when I'm scanning over a crowd.  If two people of different classes are wearing the same hats, it's going to be confusing to me.  I think a strategy game should have an instantly recognizable trait that pairs each character with a team or class--and this trait should be the same type throughout (e.g. Blue hats vs. red hats, not blue hats vs. red capes) .

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #293 on: May 03, 2007, 03:11:01 am
im not sure i follow your example fak.  the blue/red combo is not a real army combo in the same way that no character will have green hair, it's just to keep the color regions separated on the master sheet.  Most teams will have things like warm red and cool red, or brown vs khaki, blue and teal, etc.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #294 on: May 15, 2007, 12:48:01 pm
little bumbdate - working a bit more on the grass

not really a mockup on the left there, just things pasted fairly close to each other.  Pink plants are very WIP

any thoughts?

Still working on rearranging the groups, i've made myself some trouble by chaning body types based on class and giving the heavy-hitters broader shoulders etc. but whatever, ill cope
Faceless thanks again in particular your last comment about the neck region - i can't believe how far clearing that out goes to making the girls more like girls
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 12:50:50 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #295 on: May 15, 2007, 03:07:46 pm
I like it, nice work.
I would try to be consistant in my lighting if I were you though.
Don't get me wrong, the purple-blue shadow on the rock looks great, but the side of the ramp is shaded entirely differently.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #296 on: May 15, 2007, 03:28:24 pm
I like it, nice work.
I would try to be consistant in my lighting if I were you though.
Don't get me wrong, the purple-blue shadow on the rock looks great, but the side of the ramp is shaded entirely differently.
first - thanks :P
second - yeah, some things are left over from when shadows were pixelled on instead of added dynamically.  i need to spend some time removing the shadows from things now >.< but at least it gives me something to do ^^
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
not a tremendous amount to show right now (we've been concentrating on balancing, writing, and searching for the flash drive that has my files on it)

this is kinda important though - the hero character's sprite:

as always, green hair is not real color and the style is also up to the player.  also, the red and blue may change as well based on player input (black and sandy-tan is my favorite combo so far, followed closely by white and mauve)

the question here is - would you play as a hero character dressed as this?  what would you rather see in the character, if you could?  Are you willing to accept this outfit as one meant for a benevolent liberator as readily as you would accept it for a cold, heartless warmonger (knowing that you can change his colors and hair)?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:14:57 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT
hrm, personally I need to see a symbol.

This is just some guy with fancy clothes, a warmonger character would be just as boring and desentizing for me. Put something in him that is NOT interchangeable, it's ok to let the player decide the exact way his hero is gonna look, but there must be SOME ideal he stands for, if he is to be a hero. Chose a way to visualize what this guy represents and design a way to visualize it, put something in there that reminds you WHY this guy  is going to save the world (or whatever) every time you look at him.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 04:34:32 am by Conceit »

Offline robotacon

• robotacon
    • View Profile
    • It Got Dark
It would be great to have every class have one thing that is a symbol of what they are.

It could be done with body language too. The hero could hold one arm over his/her chest as a sign of his/her ideals.