AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241112 times)

Offline vellan

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Slight change of Pace

Reply #270 on: April 23, 2007, 05:08:28 pm
the x movement of the actual sprite makes the run look very "jolty" - meaning i think that the character should bob up and down, but never actually move positions

esp. with characters that are cute and "light", i think minimizing the jolt in the run is key.

hope that made sense
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 06:19:34 pm by vellan »

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #271 on: April 23, 2007, 05:30:05 pm
Since the sprite is going to move in both the x and y axis, I think that the horizontal bob has a chance of working ô _ ô

I have to see it in action to confirm though. ..

*HINT HINT*

Running demo would be SO nice :3
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #272 on: April 24, 2007, 01:18:26 pm
it's a feeble attempt at spacing that should actually give him more life instead of less, but m only a novice so i need to tweek it some more i think.

personally i like the movement, but i need to smooth it out.  probably i will end up making a pixel less? but it's very hard to do things evenly with 3 frames (I should have thought of that??:))

PS we have a running demo already.  It's getting better to - he no longer runs inside objects ^^ but follows pass/block.  I dont think well be showcasing anything tho until we get climbing, jumping, falling, etc.  You can ask Fil tho if he wants to show on with just running.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Serendor

• View Profile

Reply #273 on: April 24, 2007, 04:46:27 pm
I like your work a lot Adarias, your a good learning source.... have some of your work as study materials if thats ok?

I think its good, except from the black dot when he runing... very nice  :)

*** EDIT ***

about the pike thing I just wanted to mention it... I don't recomend you make the pike wielder like that.... don't know if its true though..... have it in my Audio book about Alexander the great if I'm right....

anyway keep up the good work  :y:

//Albin
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 04:49:01 pm by Serendor »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #274 on: April 24, 2007, 09:10:06 pm
It doesn't seem like he's running isometrically (2 x for each y)... If he is, i'd recommend making him move slower (less spacial displacement, not frame duration).

There's a lot of jumpiness which i find a bit discomfortable to look at, i think it would benefit from more inbetweens.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #275 on: April 24, 2007, 09:16:22 pm
I'd analyze it more in depth but right now I get the feeling that he's running like a small kid, gleefully stuttering forward.

Not the feeling we'd want for a warrior D; I'll try to come up with something more constructive since the runs work so well as still images, but when the character moves about, something happens õ __ õ

Can't get my head around it, better crits coming up, probably.
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #276 on: April 25, 2007, 12:42:27 am
he's running like a small kid, gleefully stuttering forward.
Not the feeling we'd want for a warrior D;

Who is we? lol, surely you aren't speaking on behalf of the developers ^^

We've pretty much come to the conclusion that cuter is better (ever since the redesign of the characters in september) since it's a game meant to appeal to RPG fans (dark, gritty rpg's tend to be less well recieved.  look at ff8 for example, even with its not tooooo gritty stuff, people just were turned off by the fact that people weren't superdeformed) instead of strategy fans (who really like them their dark and gritty).  Well be keeping the storyline and dialogs serious, but the characters and cities will be nice and bright and final-fantasy/mario cutesy.  Its fun to draw and we pull in more people.

As far as why it looks that way, im guessing its mostly the superdeformed round shapes, and maybe 10-20% the actual animation of it.

if we can make it better and cuter, then im all for it :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #277 on: April 25, 2007, 01:26:33 am
I don't really like the x movement of the sprite. It does make it seem jittery, in my opinion.
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #278 on: April 25, 2007, 01:52:46 am
Actually it's all about the animation. You can make an SD sprite move all determined and menacing and adult simply by making the moves sharper, smaller and more controlled. A run without much arm movement, perhaps one arm a bit in front of the face to shield from folliage and sticks and whatever, and not much bounce, head down. As a soldier would run around.

I agree that right now, though the animation is good, it's very 'whee! catch me daddy!'. An SD character doesn't have to act 8 years old too, does he?

sorry about head remapping strangely, whatever you're using to animate has different palettes for each frame, promotion doesn't like this in combination with copy and pasting.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:13:49 am by Helm »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #279 on: April 25, 2007, 12:05:02 pm
yeah i had to make the animation on a public computer, i think i used unfreeze because it doesnt need to install.  I have my own back now though with all my programs, which is sweet.

That edit is not a significant change of style, and it definitely feels like a soldier.  I will need to talk to Fil about whether we want to go completely kiddylike or more half-and-half like your edit, tbh im torn so it's his vote that matters most ^^. 

Thanks!

EDIT : Fil prefers the feel of the old one, but we've gotten rid of the horizontal motion and may tweak a little bit more too.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 08:37:40 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.