AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241197 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Running with Sharp things

Reply #260 on: March 28, 2007, 01:30:27 am
Well, it's not because your dad doesn't wield his staff two-handed that spear fighters didn't fight one-handed.

I did a lot of reading on pikes lately, and apparantly the huge pikes in phalanxes were held one-handed, and those are by far the heaviest spears in history. It's all in the technique...

the doru (light pike), used by hoplite formations, were 2.5-3 m long primarily held single-handedly and used in the manner i tried to describe.  Sarissas on the other hand, the double-ended 20ft pikes carried in phalanx, were also used single-handed on offense, but on defense were braced using both hands and the ground.

in europpean recorded history there have never been infantry spears designed to be used primarily with both hands.  All weapons designed to be used by infantry using two hands have been blunt or have employed cutting edges, and therfor cannt be considered spears but rather staves, swords, or other polearms.  Two-handed spears have always been a weapon exclusive to horsemen.

the spears here are going to be more along the lines of hastae, 1-2 m spears, since anything longer is hardly worth equipping as our men move not in formation.  It does have the benefit though of having range 2 instead of 1.  the difficulty like i said comes from having no understanding of short spears, but only of pikes, lances, and non-spear polearms.

again, thanks for all the help!

A question to Fil - is there any chance that we could have the greatswords reach 2 squares as well?  a 4 foot sword should have the same reach as a 6 foot spear i think.  both are masterclass knighly weapons so it would hadly effect the balance of things.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 01:34:05 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #261 on: March 28, 2007, 02:01:07 am
I was talking about sarissas indeed. Though there seems to be a lot of discussion on the way sarissas were wielded: over-hand or under-hand.

Will the rapiers have a reach of 2? The reason longswords' use went down was mostly because of the superior reach of a rapier lunge. Maybe lunging could be a common technique for rapier fighters?

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #262 on: March 28, 2007, 05:48:32 am
A question to Fil - is there any chance that we could have the greatswords reach 2 squares as well?  a 4 foot sword should have the same reach as a 6 foot spear i think.  both are masterclass knighly weapons so it would hadly effect the balance of things.

Yup, why not.
If I can set the depth thingy for the polearms, there's no reason why I couln't have it for the swords aswell.

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #263 on: March 28, 2007, 11:32:13 pm
Well, if you guys are sure about it that's okay... Good luck  ::)
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #264 on: April 08, 2007, 05:10:41 pm
slight update of sorts:

just testing the running animations, mostly cloak movement, soon i will finish these for this set unless anone sees any glaring errors
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Stwelin

• View Profile
In most tactical games a lancer or spearman has to go shieldless, but can do more damage, as the weapon is weilded two-handed, but in actuallity, there are many spears meant to be used one-handed, with a shield. The stabbing motion seems pretty down pat to me.

Offline Nebopolassar

• View Profile
In the running animation, when the arm pulls back it straightens out. I think it might be a little more natural for the arm to stay bent at the elbow the whole time.

Offline Serendor

• View Profile
I'm not a great knower of sarissas, pikes etc... but Alexanders Macedonians had some kind of equipment to help them hold the lance like a rope or something, don't remember really... otherwise it would be hard to wield a such long lance together with a shield.

like the cloak movement and the overall animation is good too :y:

// Albin

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I'm not a great knower of sarissas, pikes etc... but Alexanders Macedonians had some kind of equipment to help them hold the lance like a rope or something, don't remember really... otherwise it would be hard to wield a such long lance together with a shield.

like the cloak movement and the overall animation is good too :y:

// Albin

none of the historians i talked to or books i read ever mentioned such a thing, so i'ld need to look into that.  so far as i know, it was nothing but a bare hand on wood until it was planted in defense or dropped, but i dont claim to be any expert :P
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Slight change of Pace

Reply #269 on: April 23, 2007, 01:06:16 pm
bumpdate - running animations are done for now:

With these and a few more animations, combined with Fil's  new Z-sorter testing and movement engine, it will not be long until we have a fully capable character for our tests.  Moving demos are just around the corner.....
A mistake is a mistake.