AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241138 times)

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now with Pimp shades

Reply #250 on: March 27, 2007, 03:03:41 am
Also a swordsman - sword snaps back in place after the swing in sort of  machine feel. Might  be better if it goes slightly (subpixel) back and then return damping inertion.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #251 on: March 27, 2007, 07:59:02 am
For the weight, it all depends on what you're trying to convey really. For a mythril sword, it's perfect, for a steel word I'd add a little weight, though not the Conan swing, like I mentioned.

Also, look at the spear fight in the movie Troy for spear attacks. Using a spear is not just swinging it into an enemy, it needs to be very graceful.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #252 on: March 27, 2007, 10:40:08 am
Also a swordsman - sword snaps back in place after the swing in sort of  machine feel. Might  be better if it goes slightly (subpixel) back and then return damping inertion.

Im barely a novice animator - i barely understand what you are telling me to do.  Do you mean it should linger after the swing a bit? (already planned, as well as a linger before the swing), but how would this make the return less machine?

For the weight, it all depends on what you're trying to convey really. For a mythril sword, it's perfect, for a steel word I'd add a little weight, though not the Conan swing, like I mentioned.

Also, look at the spear fight in the movie Troy for spear attacks. Using a spear is not just swinging it into an enemy, it needs to be very graceful.

Thanks for the sword help, and yeah, i really need to study before i go anywhere near the spear attack.  My knowledge of spear thrusts is shit and i don't know anyone who i can learn from (usually for weapons advice i ask my art teacher, as he has an extensive collection of swords and medals won with them - though granted sporting combat is hardly the same as mortal combat)

Edit: Just fixed your tags - Panda
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:49:27 am by Panda »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Running with Sharp things

Reply #253 on: March 27, 2007, 01:46:29 pm

Im barely a novice animator - i barely understand what you are telling me to do.  Do you mean it should linger after the swing a bit? (already planned, as well as a linger before the swing), but how would this make the return less machine?

I dont know proper word for that=) I doubt i could exlpain this clear in english, but mashine and flexable human body handle inertion differently.
 I  dot a sword point to illustrate:

Blue is spasing on yours from frames 8 to 1 and red dots - suggested spacing. Again - just a suggestion.=)
I'm talking about sword only, figure is good as is.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 01:48:56 pm by Fool »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #254 on: March 27, 2007, 07:13:44 pm
Ah, now i get it, thanks!

here is my very basic understanding of the principles of a spear attack:

does anyone see anything there that isnt right?  like i said i've never studied spears beyond the very basic principles and this is pikework not short spear (which i have no knowledge of at all)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #255 on: March 27, 2007, 09:41:52 pm
Try getting a piece of wood (a broom maybe) that has the same size of a spear and try carrying it using one hand, It's pretty difficult to carry and if someone hits the wooden *thing* you would kinda drop it, if he uses 2 hands to attack, it would be more acceptable and realistic.  :y:
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #256 on: March 27, 2007, 10:44:05 pm
Bugguy has a point.  Unless, of course, there is a shield in the other hand.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #257 on: March 27, 2007, 11:44:58 pm
Try getting a piece of wood (a broom maybe) that has the same size of a spear and try carrying it using one hand, It's pretty difficult to carry and if someone hits the wooden *thing* you would kinda drop it, if he uses 2 hands to attack, it would be more acceptable and realistic.  :y:

Have you done your research or are you just assuming spears are to heavy to fight with one handedly? Wielding a broom while not having had any lessons in spear fighting is not going to help.

Adarias:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lJacQLrDx8

The move you describe is in it, as well as a bunch of other moves. I hope it helps a bit.

Quote from Wikipedia:

Spears, although apparently simple weapons, have a remarkable variety of wielding methods. They are listed here from most passive to most active motions.

1. Holding the spear or bracing it against the ground, the enemy impales himself.
2. The spear is thrust out with the arms alone.
3. The spear is held stiffly, and the thrust is delivered by stepping forward.
4. The spear is thrust out with the arms while stepping forward with one or both feet.
5. The front hand releases as the back hand and back foot move forward to perform a long thrust.
6. The spear is slid through the front hand, propelled by the back hand. The forward foot steps forward and the back circles the body out of the line of thrust.
7. The spear is thrown, often at a run, releasing when the opposite foot to the throwing arm is forward.
8. The spear is held couched under one arm, allowing a swinging motion as well as a powerful thrust.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 11:55:13 pm by Gil »

Offline Bugguy

• Now animated =~~
    • View Profile

Reply #258 on: March 28, 2007, 12:26:44 am
Spears are not heavy. But the way that you carry it, makes it a hard task, like holding on it's end... Look at the drawing, the spear is bigger then the character...
My father used to train with a wooden pole (or staff, I dunno the correct word), 2 handed it's easy, but because of the balance carry it holding in the end is hard... I'm just pointing a possibility.
And an one handed spear attack really doesn't make it firm enough to make some damage...

(sorry if my english isn't perfect)
I'm still a newb around here, please be patient TT__TT

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #259 on: March 28, 2007, 12:31:01 am
Well, it's not because your dad doesn't wield his staff two-handed that spear fighters didn't fight one-handed.

I did a lot of reading on pikes lately, and apparantly the huge pikes in phalanxes were held one-handed, and those are by far the heaviest spears in history. It's all in the technique...