AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241224 times)

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now with Create your Own NPC

Reply #150 on: October 05, 2006, 07:45:48 pm
I'm sorry, I didn't get much sleep.

What I mean to say is your color choices just don't fit. The purple gray I'm *not* digging, and even if its like everyother rpg out there, I think instead you should use light yellow for the top of the color ramp of the tall grass. The random coloring of the tall grass doens't work. Just tone down the difference of the color ramps. Your sprites have awesome coloring, but the tiles are so random and all over the place in colors, it doesn't fit. Everyone else probably praises you for it, but it doesn't work, it's too, not annoying, but something similar to that, and I think it should look more traditional. Your probably going to disagree with me, but the coloring job on the tiles specifically is just, well... awkward. If I have to do an edit to explain further I will, because it could be so much better.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #151 on: October 05, 2006, 09:40:49 pm
you probably know what takai is saying adarias, but incase your a tad confused: the tiles' pallette has of course shifted hues, but he thinks( i agree) that they are too spaced and less coherent. kind of how a highlight color much brighter than shades that had been more similair before may look odd.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #152 on: October 06, 2006, 12:04:33 am
I'm sorry, I didn't get much sleep.

What I mean to say is your color choices just don't fit. The purple gray I'm *not* digging, and even if its like everyother rpg out there, I think instead you should use light yellow for the top of the color ramp of the tall grass. The random coloring of the tall grass doens't work. Just tone down the difference of the color ramps. Your sprites have awesome coloring, but the tiles are so random and all over the place in colors, it doesn't fit. Everyone else probably praises you for it, but it doesn't work, it's too, not annoying, but something similar to that, and I think it should look more traditional. Your probably going to disagree with me, but the coloring job on the tiles specifically is just, well... awkward. If I have to do an edit to explain further I will, because it could be so much better.

Hm.....i don't know what to do about this, since to me there is nothing "random" about the colors selected, and i dont think they are anywhere close to what i would consider "all over the place", so without a better explanation of what is actually bothering you and why, theres not much i can do to fix this.  As far as your suggestion of using direct hue ramps and making the top of the ramp a light yellow, it makes perfect sense, but i have tried it in various ways, and i hate it, at least what ive tried.  making the whole grass lightly colored is not something i want to do, and to make the top of the ramp very bright while keeping the general colors a nice dark make it too contrasty and it steals attention from the characters without even looking nice.  Using washed out colors on a single-hue ramp (which would correct the contrast issue a little) to me just looks bad imo; it's all washed out and no colors.  These colors and shapes have been specifically chosen to create cold soup (specifically taken to knock each other down in the percieved saturation) that will show motion without real distraction, and will not have really defined shapes but should give the general impression of grass.

In the end, i guess i just don't know what either of you are saying. sorry if im being a prick, i just dont *get it*

perhaps you could edit to show what you mean, and how you would solve the problem?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 12:07:38 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #153 on: October 08, 2006, 03:48:34 pm
bumpdate -

Working on the running frames, and they are very rough atm, here is just the beginning --

thanks to Ptoing for his help and pointers

does anyone have anything to say before i begin finalizing these frames and moving on to the other animations? (besides to add shadows, im keeping them off till i know that the frames won't change much)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #154 on: October 08, 2006, 05:12:57 pm
The hair is too static. The fact that the head is unchanging immediatley stood out to me.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Fool

• View Profile
    • Fool's House

Reply #155 on: October 08, 2006, 05:29:43 pm
Hair is static allright, also you might move sprite 1 px to the left in frames 3 and 6, it will take care of roughness.
Although all that looks critical only if sprite runing on one spot, when it actually moving - it would look different.
A quick edit, if you won't mind:
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:34:17 pm by Fool »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #156 on: October 08, 2006, 05:50:37 pm
Hair is static allright, also you might move sprite 1 px to the left in frames 3 and 6, it will take care of roughness.
Although all that looks critical only if sprite runing on one spot, when it actually moving - it would look different.
A quick edit, if you won't mind:

I may take that movement into consideration, depends on how it looks in the game.  Atm, i think yours ends up looking too jerky. thanks for that edit though

The hair cannot really be animated under the current set of rules because the head is a separate set and would have too many frames if it was animated.  as it stands, each headset = 30 jobs - 5 without hats x 4 directions x 3 states (normal, hurt, dead) = 300 frames.  To multiply this by the number of additional frames needed simply wont work.  Like in Ragnarok Online and other games, animation takes it on the chin here to allow for variation.

What we *may* do is to add maybe 1 or 2 movements, which would only make for 400-500 frames, and just milk those for all they are worth
« Last Edit: October 08, 2006, 05:53:53 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #157 on: October 08, 2006, 06:35:29 pm
you could take care of the head by delaying the heads horizontal movement a frame (relative to the torso). That'd spice it up alot and save you the imense workload of seperate animation. Very nice thread btw. top nudge stuff and it's been an absolute pleasure to watch the work evolve  :y: :y: :y:

Offline cave

• Strawberries! :3
    • View Profile
    • Colocada

Reply #158 on: October 09, 2006, 01:13:31 am
Adarias this is so incredibly awesome i can't even put it into words, can't wait to play this thing! Tough I have to say I liked your 'washed out' pallete more than the new one for the characters ;)

Offline Shifty McSly

• the Master Thief
    • View Profile

Reply #159 on: October 09, 2006, 02:22:17 am
wow, the sheer quantity of work you do, let alone the amazing quality astounds me. Out of all the different classes my favourites would be the ones with helmets, they just look way too nifty. The run animation looks nice, but the head movement does seem a bit strange, then again, I guess I'd have to see it actually moving across the screen to judge it properly. Keep up the good work   ;D