AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243469 times)

Offline CrematedPumpkin

• Lord of the Fjord
    • View Profile
Would it be at all awkward if I were to say I love you?  :crazy:
You actually almost inspired me to try making RPG-like sprites (although there are, in my opinion, too many people trying  ::)), but luckily for most everyone I failed so miserably that it doesn't even meet my low standards for myself...heh.
I should very much like if you could find someone really good to do pixeled portraits (I know you're trying  ;)) as opposed to some other media, because all of this pixel work is really impressive. I seem to remember you being incredibly good with portraits, why don't you try them?
I.....am......me............

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Creamy - Tremulant here is a wonderfull pixel-artist and the portraits will be pixelled (in fact, it's necessary that they be so that they can easily be recolored with the code Fil has made so nice)
I did try them myself, hand-drawn and pixelled, and a mix of both, but i jsut cannot get the hang of this style of artwork.  oh well, i will learn, but until that day we are glad to have superb artists like Trem willing to help ;D

-------------------

Update!
FINALLY fixed the sets, mostly to take nearly all of the comments into consideration.  here is an image containing the newly done versions:

not so exciting, since you had seen much of this already, but you can see this process of finding a nice style is nearing completion.  I am, however, realising that some units, particulary the ones wearing ots of dark gray, may not have enough of a team color to be as easily identified as i would hope.  I may look into the possibiliy of having the grays change a bit from team to team as well as the 2 uniform colors, sometimes being lighter or darker or more brown or more blue-gray etc.

Also, ignore the placement of the wood (in this case a bridge) tile, but if anyone has any comments on it atm id love to hear. 

I dont think we have any functioning bridges in the game.  sure we can make them visually, but we will never have 2 characters sharing a tile one below and one beneath the other so far as i know because the sorting gives us headaches just thinking about it, and ive never played a tactical game where the ability to have bridges had a notably positive impact on the gameplay, more often then not they were just a frustration to movement and visuals.

Also, a slight update to the tall grass, its still very much a WIP.
Darien, its interesting you should say to add contrast, i didnt hear you say that the first time.  I actually thought taking contrast away would make it more readable, but maybe i was wrong? anyway i might as well post this now since ive gone and done it, but later i might try your suggestion
Another note on this - several people have suggested i bring the grass height lower, and there will be many types of grass that are not this high, but this really is a test of seeing how high i can make it while having the characters visible.  once i get this look down, shorter grasses will come easily

Also, a general shout-out, i still am completely blank when it comes to ways to make the cloaks look different in a way that represents the job.  if anyone has any idea, do let me know
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 01:31:57 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Now with Create your Own NPC

Reply #142 on: October 05, 2006, 01:38:58 am
I'm digging the purple-grayish grass, I would use lighter yellow. It seems like all your tiles have strange coloring choices, and it just doesn't work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #143 on: October 05, 2006, 02:48:40 am
I'm digging the purple-grayish grass, I would use lighter yellow. It seems like all your tiles have strange coloring choices, and it just doesn't work.
Takai, i feel as though you have useful things to say, but time and time again i cannot understand what you are talking about. 

When i read your post there, i read it as "direct positive comment, I would vague suggestion. It seems like vague negative comment, and vague negative comment." 

While i certainly dont mind negative comments, what i would love would be if that read instead "direct positive comment, but I would direct suggestion.  It seems like direct negative comment, and direct suggestion"
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sherman Gill

• View Profile

Reply #144 on: October 05, 2006, 04:46:10 am
-Putting words into other peoples mouth, excuse me :-\-
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 04:51:35 am by Sherman Gill »
Oh yes naked women are beautiful
But I like shrimps more haha ;)

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #145 on: October 05, 2006, 06:59:58 am
Nice tiles. You are moving along well with these. Very psychedellic tinge, compared to other iso tactical contemporaries. The stone surfaces look great. I think the tall grass has too much contrast, but that's really my personal taste speaking. I'd keep using the hue shifting techniques, but try to find ways to reduce the contrast so that your characters don't blend away into the background too much... only other advice I have is to keep working at reducing generic cubism to the individual tiles. It's not about destroying your grid altogether, but adding curves into a tile space where surfaces and sides meet so a more organic or soft-edged (for shapes) look is obtained. Awesome stuff.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #146 on: October 05, 2006, 05:36:15 pm
Dude, your gui totally blows. ;)

But seriously, it's a little boring. Why not some lovely bejewelled scrollwork around the edges and a transparent background? :)

Just doesn't seem in keeping with the setting of the game.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #147 on: October 05, 2006, 05:56:43 pm
Why not some lovely bejewelled scrollwork around the edges and a transparent background? :)
Because i think that kind of thing is ugly? lol.  if anyone else wants to design a GUI, be my guest, but so long as me and Fil are doing it it's going to stay clean and simple.  personal preference.
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #148 on: October 05, 2006, 06:09:28 pm
For me, it is rather the thick black edges that draws my interest to the bottom of the screen while it should be focused at what happens on the top, and that's all for me.

But yeah. I'd suggest that you lessen the contrast a wee bit since high contrasts is something that catches your eye. Hence, the black text is nice imo, while the edges, which are always there, kind of takes over the whole bottom even though they're not really a detail of interest.

But ugly? Hell no. I especially like the little "H" gem. That's all the bling you need to get me going :>
' _ '

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #149 on: October 05, 2006, 07:17:37 pm
For me, it is rather the thick black edges that draws my interest to the bottom of the screen while it should be focused at what happens on the top, and that's all for me.

But yeah. I'd suggest that you lessen the contrast a wee bit since high contrasts is something that catches your eye. Hence, the black text is nice imo, while the edges, which are always there, kind of takes over the whole bottom even though they're not really a detail of interest.

Yeah, the text-box is definately made to draw attention, hense th high contrast, but it is a bit distracting.  I think though that it shouldnt be *too* much of an issue since the boxes will only be displayed when they are currently supposed to be the focus, and hidden when not.  they are on here just to test how they look with the tiles, which is important.  I will look into the contrast thing though, you make an excellent point.
A mistake is a mistake.