AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243357 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Fantasy Tactics

Reply #70 on: June 24, 2006, 03:23:21 pm
Skull >> The bright and easy-to-read text is for the character who spoke last. When someone speaks after him, his text becomes like the one on the right ^^
I hope I make sense ^^

Adarias >> Your textbox is being so much cooler than my horrible photoshop crap :D
We MUST use this one.

About the demo, I think we will have something before the end of summer :)

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #71 on: June 24, 2006, 03:29:14 pm
Skull >> The bright and easy-to-read text is for the character who spoke last. When someone speaks after him, his text becomes like the one on the right ^^
I hope I make sense ^^

That's just what I was hoping for  ;D I think it'll look rather swish that way.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #72 on: June 24, 2006, 03:30:06 pm
Loving the boxes, Adarias. Nice and clean, simple, but still sex on the eyes. As for the AA, I made an edit. I've been AA'ing far too frequently in the past few months, and I've developed a special love for it, so...

Anyway, my explanatory skills are... well, frankly, quite useless, and I think the edit conveys the point more clearly than I'd be able to.
Basically, I cleaned up some blur. I think, unless I misread the forms you were going for, I cleaned up the shapes, too, as some of them look a bit blobby. I know the 4x bits are a kinda redundant, what with the zoom feature, but I thought I'd throw 'em in for clarity's (?) sake. :P

Beautiful boxes, like I said, and, if I haven't already mentioned it, beautiful work on this whole project.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #73 on: June 27, 2006, 11:32:52 am
Tremulant, I think it's supposed to be arrow-shaped. Your edit actually makes it so rounded that it lost its shape, although it points out that there is a need to retouch that part of the image.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: September 13, 2006, 10:02:06 pm
well, Ive been buried for a while under a mountain of other work, but the male job class standing forms for Partisan are complete now (though notice i didnt say finished - i am waiting for your crits!)

the jobs there follow the same course, only slightly rotated to fit the images better.  it shouldnt be too hard to figure out what job paths have which names

a couple are asymmetric, but the only one i bothered to show both views of was the swordmaster, since the cloak over one arm is a very obvious piece of clothing

PS: am i the only one that can't use the zoom function? or is it gone?  it was really nice to be able to use that
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 10:13:33 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Re: Fantasy Tactics : Updated 9/13!

Reply #75 on: September 14, 2006, 02:48:30 pm
I cant user the forum zoom feature - but for all us Firefox users there is a zoom feature.

Awesome job - no crits really.

Offline Lyuf

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics : Updated 9/13!

Reply #76 on: September 14, 2006, 03:38:45 pm
Ragnarog stile :) Great work.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics : Updated 9/25!

Reply #77 on: September 25, 2006, 01:10:28 pm
hmm.....well thanks to the few who posted, but id really like some crits on these tbh, i know there are issues.

perhaps i am flogging a dead topic, but heres the most recent update:

not all the hats are on, and the lower half of it has the wrong hats (the hats have all 4 directions, but only horizontal flips are shown here), but it doesnt really matter since this is just the outfits (and since all characters wont wear hats, or they will always wear the same hat in some cases, but either way not changing with job type, is better perhaps to see them without)

C+C ?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Fantasy Tactics : Updated 9/25!

Reply #78 on: September 27, 2006, 08:10:40 pm
Forkin' 'ell! That's a lorra' soldiers. I need to get Wizball out of the way so I can start on coding this instead of just having ideas.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Sqorgar

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Fantasy Tactics : Updated 9/25!

Reply #79 on: September 27, 2006, 08:40:16 pm
They aren't visually distinct enough. Individually, they are quite exceptional and I applaud your technical prowess completely. However, putting a whole bunch of them next to each other, and I honestly have a hard time telling the apart. If you put all the Final Fantasy Tactics characters on a sheet like that, there would be an immediate and obvious distinction between each of the units, and even when a bunch of them are clumped together on the board, you can still separate them at sight. With yours, I'm having trouble figuring out which sprites are supposed to be the same character classes, and probably couldn't connect the fronts with the backs with a map.

My recommendation is to not put as much emphasis on what they are wearing, and instead give each unit type a one or two color scheme - never have two hats the same color, since that is where the identification is going to be most focused. And when picking your colors, you've got a very muted low saturation thing going on, which is going to make that difficult. You want their primary color to leap off the screen at a glance, as it is absolutely the most fundamental and important aspect of their character. Your composite images shouldn't look like a mashing of blues-purples-oranges, but you should be big self-organizing chunks of a single color.

It may seem counter to what you want to do, but make a little sample image where you put maybe nine guys standing in a square on your isometric map. If you can't instantly tell which units are which, as I suspect will be the case, you need make special effort to change that. Go check out the graphics for a Nippon Ichi game or any other Tactics game and you will undoubtedly see how important distinct coloration is to these types of games.