AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243332 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Fantasy Tactics

Reply #50 on: June 05, 2006, 05:11:34 am
The only thing I'm seein' in those (beautiful) tiles that I don't really like is that the flat ground tiles seem too cluttered. The sloped tiles that face the viewer  seem to be made of more than 50% yellow dirt, but the flat tiles seem to have an equal amount of yellow and brown/green/grey, making it look cluttered and staticy. Other than that everything is real, real, nice.

Have I told you yet that all of your stuff is awesome?

'Cause it is.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #51 on: June 05, 2006, 06:20:09 am
I think the dirt tile's look fine themselves, but their cluttered...ness (as Xion mentioned) becomes a problem in that they detract from the sprites when actually implemented. even muting that darkish grayish tone might help lessen the noise. That said, you've fast become one of my favorites, and your use of colour has given my eyes many a gasm over the past months. Here, again, on the, um, pillars? .. the raised terrain, anyway, the color choise and shading are top notch. The way the grass reads, too, is really quite cool. Gives the impression of thin cover, suiting for the rocky setting (but maybe I'm way off).

Either way, nice. Feel useless giving mindless praise, but it's definitely well earned. ;D

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: June 05, 2006, 08:57:35 am
thanks for the comments everyone :D

@big brother: yeah my work tends to be like that, as most of it is intended to eventually bee seen on a handheld LCD screen like the GBA and i sometimes lose sight of how the big picture looks zoomed in.  All of my work intended for handheld projects is done at 800% with a 200% preview screen and a 100% navigator window

@Trem / Xion : i see what you are both saying; and another thing i realised too is that since its completely staticy im not really getting anything out of the 4 different tiles of each ground type.  I think when i udate ill address the clutteredness and also cut it down to 2 rock/sand/dirt tiles, possibly cut it down to 2 grass tiles.  i also want to put in a mossy tile to transition between the tufty grass and moss and the rock/sand
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #53 on: June 05, 2006, 10:39:44 am
I love the progress. The various classes are getting easier to distinguish and the tiles look pretty good, generally. I don't like the weird spots actually. It doesn't look like a dirt tile, more of a monsterskin tile.. =p And you might want to change the colors a bit. From the mockup above you can see the characters are overnicely blended into the scene.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #54 on: June 09, 2006, 10:33:45 am
LOve the tiles.  I can pretty much parrot whats already been said so ill keep my mouth shut.

EDIT:  I realised how there is a line cutting thhrough the tiles on the far right of the mockup thing.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 10:37:22 am by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #55 on: June 09, 2006, 11:04:48 am
graham if you like these can be used in the magician/demon project i did them because i was bored ^^

I may well do, ta'. Although obviously we dinnae have a concept of height in Lands Of Chaos.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #56 on: June 18, 2006, 07:56:50 pm
Ok, looks like its time for an update....:

this has now become 2 different projects!  One, Lands of Chaos, I will be working with DrDerekDoctors to make a game that focusses on demons fighting demons.  this will use Wizards from the original job tree and this tileset (without the heights):

The other, Partisan Tactics Battles, will use a job tree like the old one, but with different jobs in each place.  Also here is a test of the new tile set and a title screen made by Fil_Razorback, who is doing programming and most of the design concepts.  The new final classes are determined by which side of a civil war you choose to fight on, and though they are similar in function, they will look and perform quite a bit differently.  WIP job tree is rotated slightly from written version

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #57 on: June 18, 2006, 08:06:38 pm
I love your wall tile #4 from the left. Something english/medieval comes to mind. Not sure what #1 and #2 are though. I love the way the terrain doesn't look entirely flat.

Nice work! Can't wait to play those projects! ;)
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: June 18, 2006, 09:15:06 pm
thanks lick.  the first 2 walls are 'natural' rock/dirt ledges

i just remembered, the purpose of the update is that the subject of the eyes has come up again.  general question is:

which of these two do you like better? does anyone have anything better that they could suggest?

A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #59 on: June 18, 2006, 09:27:27 pm
I personally like the second set of eyes, though perhaps it would be better to use a less saturated blue.

I'd like to comment on the Partisan Tactics Battles title design, if I may.  I think the words "tactics" and "battles" should be on the same side of the sword logo.  At first glance I thought that they were clickable choices along with "new game" and "load game".