AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241136 times)

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics: Job Set

Reply #40 on: May 31, 2006, 10:11:59 pm
I don't think I've played any tactics game where the effect of death was attempted to have visceral impact.

Never played Vandal Hearts then? The characters positively PISS blood when they die.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #41 on: May 31, 2006, 10:17:39 pm
No but I'll try to find it. Fallout Tactics was a good pick too. No anime people in that one.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 31, 2006, 10:18:36 pm
Ok, was just wondering :P

i know its going to be an uphill battle, but i enjoy working in this style and frankly i think that im a lot better at this than anything else, so ill have better luck moving away from realism in the soldiers/characters themselves

Final fantasy tactics did a fairly good job of keeping the actual drama going, at least for characters that mattered.  With any luck i wont end up with vandal-hearts (rediculous fountain of red pixels followed by a wierd stretch-and-vanishing deal)

as death is concerned, and depending on how much the programmer (if i find one) wants to do, my plan is to have characters that have been wounded to 10% lose the ability to attack, at 0 they lose the ability to move more than 1 square per turn and their normal hp is replaced with a critical bar starting at (50% - excess damage).  if the character is healed to 100% of the critical bar, he stands back up with (1 hp + excess healing points). if his critical bar is completely depleted, dead forever.  if the excess damage done is more than 50% of your max hp, your are just killed outright, so make sure you dont put weakling troops where they can get smashed, or youll need to hire newer, weaker troops.  i was also thinking that owning critically wounded enemies would give no experience, but it would give things like trophies etc.  MAYBE it could be made so that wherever a wounded person moves there is a small trail of blood left, because that looked cool when the wounded wiegraf crawled out leaving blood behind before becoming a demon.

Oh and i have a question for the general masses : should the female set have the girls wearing similar uniforms so that calss identification is easy, or should they bbe wearing completely different uniforms to add to the variety?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dave

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 31, 2006, 10:29:53 pm
In my opinion, no, the female costumes shouldn't be too similar.  But, you should still be able to tell what is what.  A Knight should look like a Knight, y'know?  D:  Sorry, kinda getting into stating the obvious.  But yeah. 

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: June 02, 2006, 01:28:46 am
if his critical bar is completely depleted, dead forever.  if the excess damage done is more than 50% of your max hp, your are just killed outright, so make sure you don't put weakling troops where they can get smashed, or you'll need to hire newer, weaker troops

Any rpg game in which things "die forever" is going to get very annoying. it means unless your particular good or very careful you will need to spend money and effort on replacing troops after every battle. not only that but the fact that in a game like this you will always be looking for the best combination of classes within your team. having "permenint death" in there will really make it hard to do this. and even if you manage to get your desired team together it could be ruined quite easily. Maybe I'm thinking of this game too much like FF:T but as i said, i think permenint death could ruin alot of the fun in this game.
Also,as well as having troops under your command would you also have your own permenant  personal character out there? one that can be defeated but never killed?
Apart from the permenant death thing its good to see you getting into the mechanics of the game and i love most of your ideas you've so far (the trailing blood would look so cool). if you need another artist for the game or some one to help with game mechanics id be very very happy to help. ;D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 01:31:42 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #45 on: June 02, 2006, 03:05:38 am
Fire Emblem is a quite successful franchise with the dead forever theme. I've played a few of the old ones and, while I found the gameplay overall kinda lacking, the dead forever added depth and connection to the characters and story.
Well, anyway, I really like the look of yer sprites and wish ye luck on findin' that programmer. I'd really love to see this come to fruition.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only person to extensively plan out games without the programming knowledge.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: June 02, 2006, 03:15:15 am
heh, i was just about to mention fire emblem. i think it makes you alot better at the game in general, making it so you either lose a character or get better. of course i suck at keeping them alive.

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #47 on: June 04, 2006, 04:30:34 pm
I don't think I've played any tactics game where the effect of death was attempted to have visceral impact.

Never played Vandal Hearts then? The characters positively PISS blood when they die.

HAHAHA, I was just about to mention Vandal Hearts. That is the craziest tactical rpg i've ever played.

I just wanted to say how great all of these are. Loving the colors, too. My favorite is the guy up top, left corner, with the dark robe and helmet.

I really hope this becomes a game.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 04:36:16 pm by Darion »
@darionmccoy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics

Reply #48 on: June 05, 2006, 01:41:17 am
Not so much an update on the jobs, ive looked at them too long and need to take a break, but i did try out some terrain

these here for crits etc

graham if you like these can be used in the magician/demon project i did them because i was bored ^^

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Re: Fantasy Tactics

Reply #49 on: June 05, 2006, 04:29:43 am
It's interesting how heavily your stuff relies on optical mixing. When I zoom up on these tiles, I have trouble recognizing what they represent, but at 100% it's pretty straightfoward. You might want to use a separate tile for the raised areas (like you did with the buttes).