AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241176 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Fantasy Tactics: Job Set

Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 09:22:36 am
To me the eyecolour pixels look more like eyeshadow, mainly because they are over a black and a white pixel. I guess the white pixel is supposed to be a highlight in the pupil, but it does not read as such to me at all.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 29, 2006, 09:50:17 am
Looking great, though one crit I noticed on the walk cycle is at the peak of their right legs movement outwards, it looks as though their leg sticks too much out to their right. Maybe move that leg inwards a little more when it moves.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: May 29, 2006, 02:07:40 pm
Man those are nice. You making a game with them?

that depends; anyone know a good GBA coder who isnt busy?

To me the eyecolour pixels look more like eyeshadow, mainly because they are over a black and a white pixel. I guess the white pixel is supposed to be a highlight in the pupil, but it does not read as such to me at all.
The black pixel is the pupil, the white pixel the white of the eye.  color above is to give the eye an accent, so in a way it is much like eyeshadow, though in the portraits of course they will have normal eyes (except for characters wearing eyeshadow, which of course will have eyeshadow.....).  The more typical eyes that i tried out simply didnt work for me.

For example, say you have both archers and chemist becoming engineers.  But if you are an archer first, you combine enigeer attributes to become a gunman.  If you are a chemist, you combine that with engineering to be like I dunno a biological weaponist.  There's no choice at the end (just the beginning) but I thought it would make for an interesting class system.  Just a thought.

My only worry there would be that the person would really want to have a choice at the end; i dont like it when i make a decision in a game that i wasnt informed of prior to making it.  Theres a big enough difference within the joint classes because of the original class (warriors can use shields so a crusader that was a warrior can use a shield, but clerics learn basic magics so a crusader that was a cleric can use basic magics.  crusaders themselves learn low-grade magic attacks as well as fighting techniques, and the final tier gives them very powerful light/dark attacks)

a slight update, for ive nothing else to do:

A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #23 on: May 29, 2006, 02:10:45 pm
the chestplate you're using seems to be for amptly-endowed females. Might want to tone down the highlights or reshape.

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 29, 2006, 06:03:57 pm
Ooh, far prefer the variety in those latest ones. Very nice indeed. Nice continuation of design elements down the job-tree, too.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: May 29, 2006, 10:15:19 pm
I think that you should be able to be dark at any stage of the system.  Also, I would like to see At least something put in there relating to dariens Idea.  And just as a thought, maybe as a novice, what happens affects their light or dark path, but that seems difficult. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 10:59:37 pm
Until the final tier, non-characters are neutral, neither light nor dark but capable of both.  Only when they have become masters of their art must they make a decision between the 2 and attain the final rank.  I am 100% against the idea of having events before the final class change make the decision for the player because i think that in a situation where reaching the final class is so tiresome, i have no intention of forcing the player into taking a paladin when they wanted to have an inquisitor, especially given that the two classes become very different from that point on.

And yeah, i probably should make the chest plate less breast-y, if for no other reason than i dont want to have to make the girls even bigger >.< (you heard me folks, im trying to keep a sense of modesty in an anime-styled game  :o)
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 11:36:38 pm
OK.  I just had a few Ideas.  BUt maybe breeding?(lol breeding).  For example if A male inquisitor has a BAby with a female archer or something, their child would be a mix. 

Maybe to further differentiate the teams or dark/lightness, you could have different features.   Like pallid skin, tats, slightly different clothe design.

Hows this being released.  I wanna play it. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 08:03:36 pm
OK.  I just had a few Ideas.  BUt maybe breeding?(lol breeding).  For example if A male inquisitor has a BAby with a female archer or something, their child would be a mix. 

Maybe to further differentiate the teams or dark/lightness, you could have different features.   Like pallid skin, tats, slightly different clothe design.

Hows this being released.  I wanna play it. 

The story as it Ive got it in my head takes place over the course of about 4 years (year of the Cattle, Tiger, Rabbit, and ending with Dragon), so 'breeding' (as you so quaintly put it :P) is out of the question (it also feels a bit rediculous?)
i guess im sorta missing the point of all your suggestions, im not sure what they would accomplish.  perhaps you could explain why you want all of this? to me it sounds like nonesense.

Currently this game has no programme; just a story framework and the beginnings of the designs; what you are seeing is the soldier design process.  All (well most of) the characters are already figured out and drawn but not sprited.  When i find a GBA programmer interested, then ill put out release info, otherwise its a for-fun (probably doomed) effort with little goal other than keeping me amused and giving me a lot of small-sized tactical sprites to work from if people (like DrDerekDoctors who im beginning a project with using a similar graphical style) want to work on stuff.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2006, 08:05:29 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #29 on: May 30, 2006, 10:35:33 pm
 Those are some good updates Adrias. Something that kept on scaring me are the eyes. So every character in this game will be angry? Angry Fantasy Tactics? I would make variations of the facial features, not just templates of angry faces.