AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241124 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics: Job Set

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2006, 12:24:56 pm
Ok, so what im hearing is.....:

Classes dont particularly fit in some cases, so the names could use a real switching

Many classes are simply much too similar; especially in the outer tiers....
'hero' came from the idea that most heros are unbound, wandering mercenaries, but it doesnt really make too much sense i suppose
I like the idea of cleric, and that does make tihngs a lot more interesting and fit better

...Which should be much more ornate and extravagant

Everyone likes a badass, but the last upgrade should be presented a choice

Dr, what are you trying to sya about the hair?  Each person will keep the same head from the moment you get him to the end of the game, the different heads here are just to break up the monotony of having over 20 of the same person, and yes there will be many more theres just a few here

So now ive got another question then, how exactly do people think the costumes should be changed/improved?  Ive got some ideas, but id like to hear from you-all

Oh and i forgot to mention; shields (which can be equiped by any class reachable by a warrior) are displayed over the side of the sprite, and the maximum size and style of the shield depends on the class, but it might also add confusion since theres no rule against a paladin carying a tiny shield
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 12:45:30 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #11 on: May 28, 2006, 12:31:48 pm
The sprites' proportions and colors are quite good (reminds me of legend of mana coloring) However like others mentioned, the designs are too similiar to each other. I would suggest picking a few deatils for each sprite and make them stand out alot more (wether its armor, the rob, a hat/helmet, etc) so each class looks a bit more different. you *might* try putting ornate symbols on the cloth representing some of the classes.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 12:46:46 pm
yeah the back of all the cloaks has a class-specific symbol, you cant see from this angle though

i worry about hats because of the real extent to which the character's hair and face (well... all the faces are the same here because i havent actually made the headsets yet) make a big difference in terms of recognition, but they would help a tremendous amount......hhmm
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 12:50:49 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 02:05:59 pm
To remedy the 'hat' problem you could have uncovered portraits when a unit is selected? So the sprites could be hatted(?!) and the portraits could remain unique (doll system for portraits? I dunno something)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 05:14:01 pm
To remedy the 'hat' problem you could have uncovered portraits when a unit is selected? So the sprites could be hatted(?!) and the portraits could remain unique (doll system for portraits? I dunno something)

Brilliant, thats why i <3 forums

tried to address as many comments as possible, this also cycles through several Teams (sorry if its distracting), teams go : BuRd (you), BrGr (free/vagrant), YwRs (Kingdom of Circeny), PrBu (Lestegia City-States), and PkWt (Volkegrad Empire)

I havent yet touched a lot of things, and most still need hats.  i think that 2nd and 3rd tier will all have hats, and novice and first tier will not

final tier has been given a choice now (and so i end up with 8 more ranks); when the person has mastered their 2nd tier class they can choose between light and dark (light being gold and dark being dark).  Paladin (light) is now paired with Inquisitor (dark), Champion (light) is now paired with Warlord (dark), and so on. havent touched the chemist classes at all, they will probably get a complete reworking

still very much a WIP

I also began to animate them using the old walking base, Novice, Cleric, and Warrior (with messed up shoes...>.<) (these are all done from the same old character of mine, which has been on my pixeljoint for a while)  Also, for fun, a knight with basic shield equipped:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:19:23 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 06:20:05 pm
I see improvement already! :) (I still don't like the pallette, but it's stylish and all, so you might get away with it, don't mind me)

You really hit a soft spot of mine with that class system and the merging of equipment, which I think is a great idea by itself. I really have to restrain myself from not going on a rant. I'm now off to dissect medieval society to get a better class structure for myself to throw in my pile of unused ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 07:21:41 pm
very nice improvements!  re: the walk cycle, the legs appear to be spread apart some as they walk, like there is a space between their feet even during the walking.  Also, the shoulders don't move at ALL - even a little shift there would help add a lot of perspective and believability to both the motion and the shape and design of the armor.

awesome stuff!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 02:43:17 am
Looking good.  Here's a thought:  since you have characters able to become a second tier class from two different classes, maybe have the first tier class determine which branch the character will become. 

For example, say you have both archers and chemist becoming engineers.  But if you are an archer first, you combine enigeer attributes to become a gunman.  If you are a chemist, you combine that with engineering to be like I dunno a biological weaponist.  There's no choice at the end (just the beginning) but I thought it would make for an interesting class system.  Just a thought.

Sprites look great, my only concern is that the color swaps may not be drastic enough for quick and easy distinction.

Offline Billeh

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 03:11:26 am
Great stuff adarias (inspirational). Most of the concerns have been said, but great improvments

Offline Rerg1

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 07:44:44 am
Man those are nice. You mkaing a game with them?