AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241198 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
The game concpet being somewhat similar to FFT, this is a set of all of the male none-character job classes, colored to be your party's troops.  Heads are unique to the person, not the class, and are laid over the body as a separate image.  i used a couple of different heads here just for the sake of breaking the consistancy (at first they all had the same head and looked a bit odd all together like this)

and for those interested in the jobs themselves.....

Within a job tree, the none-character soldiers may upgrade themselves 3 times.  Other skills (theft, beast-riding, oration, etc) can be learned by any job class by accomplishing certain feets as part of the respective guild's journeyman quests.  Characters have classes unique to themselves but may also join guids.  hope it makes sense :P

im looking mostly for crits on the appearences but crits on the system itself are also welcome
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 09:11:03 pm by ndchristie »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics: Job Set

Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 04:15:52 am
reminds me of ragnarok, but smaller :D

*cheers*
EAT PUNAJI  BECAUSE IT'S GOOD AND TASTY

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 04:47:53 am
nice sprites but its really hard to distinguish one job class from another. some of them have identical details. and i'm not sure if its the color choices but the details kind of blend together. you might also want to add a few more head options.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 05:23:42 am
I like how you merge two classes' clothing into the next, but it kinda makes several classes look too close. It's more realistic, and it'll look quite nice in a game, but I'm afraid there might be confusion once you're actually playing, when you need to guess the class of an enemy, especially if they use another pallette for team colours. Chemist, doctor and engineer are too close for example. Same with alchemist and master surgeon

Also, the outfits are a little basic on the higher classes. I dunno, but I'd expect some really fancy armor on a champion, not a bleached knight. That brings me to the pallette. As mentioned, it kinda reminds me of Ragnarok, which isn't basically a pro, since that pallette is so overdone. Why not go with alot more vibrancy in the colours?

I really like the diagram, though I'm not sure I'd do it the same way. There's some fuzzy naming going on. Change "Hero" to something like "Rebel" perhaps? "Hawkeye" is too creative and doesn't fit in as a name, perhaps something like "Assassin" would be better fit. "Alchemist" of a "Chemist" upgrade, it doesn't seem to make sense after engineer. perhaps "Scientist"? I think you can drop the "Master" on "Master Surgeon" and the "Arch" on "Archmage" ("Wizard" would be even better), since those seem out of place. Why have a master surgeon if there isn't a regular surgeon? Why have an Archmage, if there isn't any normal mages? I'm not too keen on a priest being a combination of a chemist and a magician either. I'd go with a scheme where you have a basic "adventurer", which splits into "chemist", "archer", "warrior" and "cleric", since then you can make a "crusader" in between "cleric" and "warrior", and a "doctor" in between "cleric" and "chemist". In between those you'd have your "priest" and "bishop". Still not the best though, there's something inherently wrong with the hexagonal class system you have. I'd have to give it all a little more thought to come up with something decent though...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 05:27:38 am
nm, Gil pretty much covered it all.  I'd just like to add that i really love the palette, I don't think it looks like Rag all that much, more like the original concept art for Final Fantasy Tactics (forgot artists name at the moment) - great tribute!  the costume design overlaps are fairly confusing though!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 05:38:14 am
As said very nice but too similar.   My crit on the system is that you only branch out once... really what is the point of having the last class upgrade if their is only the choice of that class suped up?  I guess a large stat bonus but seems a little pointless to me...

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 06:24:39 am
they all have blue eyes! hitler would be proud to some extent
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 08:02:00 am
That is SO sweet.
I have no comment......

Offline DrDerekDoctors

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 08:31:29 am
Hmm, gotta' agree that they look too close. Plus differentiating them through hair style/color just seems weird and (in gameplay terms, which I know you don't like to discuss but tough cheese ;) ) will mean you don't recognise a soldier from his appearance because when he changed job it involved a shampoo, set and dye. ;)

And if the changing hair is just a random thing and not indicitive of job but merely to make the image more varied, then there's *really* very little different between a buncha' jobs.

Personally as a player, I'd prefer like 9 job classes that really looked different than 19 which didn't.
--

DrDerekDoctors

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006, 08:36:01 am
As people advance in a game they really want to look a lot cooler then when they started. Make your classes progressively more extravagant. at the moment they all look to similar.

No crits on the actual art its self

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!